Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose the right materials for a raised bed veg garden

Frank5
Just Starting Out

How to choose the right materials for a raised bed veg garden

What sort of sleepers should i be selecting for a raised garden bed approx 3m long x1m wide x700mm high i have been told not to use pine because it contains arsonic ???? do i use steel corner brackets for a stronger construction also is it advisable to line the inside with black plastic Thank you for any information 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to choose the right materials for a raised bed veg garden

Hello @Frank5

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about what materials to use for your raised garden bed.

I suggest having a look at this guide - How to build a raised garden bed by @Adam_W. The guide will give you good ideas on what you'll need and how to construct a raised garden bed. I suggest using 200 x 50mm 3.0m Sleeper H4 Sienna MicroPro. It's rated for in-ground use and is suitable for sensitive applications like sandpits, play equipment, and vegetable gardens. It uses a copper-based preservative and does not contain any arsenic. If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. Our members will be more than happy to provide advice and information.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular raised garden beds

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your raised garden bed project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects