Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to contain Red Ruby plants?

Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

How to contain Red Ruby plants?

Hi,

Please find pic of Red Ruby plants which has taken over most of the area up to the Rose plant. I removed some of them as it overcrowded the place. 

1. If the put a garden edge in between the red ruby and the yellow plant, and another garden edge in front of the red ruby will it help? 

What is the best mulch for the rose plant?

Thank you

Garden help

Front Red Ruby.jpg

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to contain Red Ruby plants?

Hi @Gardenhelp Those "red ruby" plants (Alternathera) can just keep spreading, so you might just have to keep weeding them away from your rose. Try to remove as much of the roots as possible, but be careful not to damage the roots of your rose. (That's easy to say; not quite so easy to do!).

A thick cover of mulch might help keep the Alternathera from crowding the rose, but you will still need to keep an eye on it. 

As for the rose, perhaps @Noelle or one of our other garden gurus could give you some more specific advice on mulching it and looking after it in general.

Cheers,

Brad

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Gardenhelp

I agree with @BradN's recommendation, I'm afraid putting garden edging will not prevent the Red Ruby from spreading. I suggest keeping on trimming them to prevent it from spreading further.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Hi Brad,

Thank you for your assistance and time.

Regards

Gardenhelp

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Gardenhelp . You're welcome! We'd like to see some photos of your rose once it's in bloom as well!

A bit more info about Alternathera – it can spread by growing roots from its stems anywhere it touches the ground. Any bits of broken stem left on the ground after you've been pulling it out or cutting it back can take root, so you want to make sure to tidy up when you've finished with it!  

Cheers,

Brad

Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Thank you Brad. I will take note of what you have said to help with my garden. Will send photos later when the roses bloom.

Kind regards

Gardenhlep

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects