Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a basic limestone garden bed?

Cozza
Just Starting Out

How to create a basic limestone garden bed?

Wanting to create a basic limestone garden bed. I’m not too savvy so don’t want it too complicated but I just need to know what to do/use 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to create a basic limestone garden bed

Hello @Cozza

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your desire to create a limestone garden bed.

It's great that you've decided to give this project a go. Would it be possible for you to post a photo or indicate the measurements of the area where you want to place this feature. Was there a specific shape or size that you had in mind? Will you be placing timber seating or perhaps a water feature around it?  

I suggest making a basic sketch on paper how you wish to layout the limestone garden. In this manner we will have a better idea of how you want it to look like and we can then offer you suggestions on materials and methods. 

We look forward to getting more information about your garden.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cozza
Just Starting Out

hi Eric,

thank you for your replay. Please see pictures below. I just want to replace the sleepers with limestone or something similar. Just something basic but nice and that won’t rot away like sleepers. There is about 40 meters worth all up (front and back yard) give or take. I mainly just want to know what I need to do and what I need 

4CEAA3C1-8A2C-4263-BCE8-141974593807.jpeg

283FB3C1-3BA3-4604-84FF-61EF0677BC3C.jpeg

78966AC4-EDEB-40B0-B9A2-F7CA7008EAD7.jpeg

D5B3F6D7-7F78-4EA5-A5B1-BA7BFBD1341A.jpeg

896F849A-3E60-4448-BE51-C4AE147E5EAF.jpeg

C08BDB26-B3D6-4A88-9333-43081FF326EE.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Cozza

Thank you so much for posting those photos of your garden. There are two materials that I would recommend to replace your sleepers. First is the Brighton Masonry 200 x 100 x 50mm Cream Mypave Paver. This would be the easiest to lay and link together to create long-lasting garden edging. The second is Ezi Wall Lite Retaining Wall Block Cream. It is a bit more expensive but it is twice the height of the Paver. You will need to use Selleys 415g Liquid Nails Landscape Stone Concrete Adhesive to glue them together.

The area where you will be laying them down on must be leveled and compressed so that they will stay even and not sink into the ground. It sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

The methods mentioned in the guides are both applicable to your project. You may pick and choose which parts you want to keep. I've placed a sketch below to give you an idea of how they can be laid out.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects