Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix lawn bare patches?

ATCWork
Finding My Feet

How to fix lawn bare patches?

Just moved in a new house for a month but we have no idea to maintain a lawn.  I found  some lawn has bare.    Seeking for suggestion to fix them 

IMG_0325.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

IMG_0324.jpeg

IMG_0329.jpeg

    

leah94
Getting Established

Re: How to fix this bare lawn

i also have the same issue but due to the tree hedges there is no sunlight getting to our grass, 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix lawn bare patches?

Hi @ATCWork,

The bare sections you have pictured are exceptionally compacted, and that's likely the reason for the grass dying in those locations. Compaction prevents water, oxygen and nutrients from getting down to were the grass roots need them. I'd recommend aerating those areas and applying some topsoil. You'll then be able to re-seed or lay down new turf. Here are some helpful guides: How to aerate and top dress your lawn, How to grow grass from seed and How to lay turf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix lawn bare patches?

Hi @leah94,

You might like to seed those shaded areas with a product that includes varieties of grass that do well in sunny and shady locations. The seed more suited to the shady area will take over and infill the area.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects