Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix these steps?

SN
Growing in Experience

How to fix these steps?

I moved here last year, these steps are not fit for purpose unless you are over 6 feet tall.

any advise on how to change them would be appreciated.

the steps are made of limestone covered in concrete, as you can see from the photo it is starting to break down. I can’t bring them forward as it is on the boundary.

5BFC5C56-48D0-41D6-9E80-94BE0E46101C.jpeg

Tread widths

Top down 26cm

1st step  width 37cm

Down 26cm

2nd step width 35cm

Down 27cm

3rd step width 40cm

Down 29cm

4th step width 37cm

Down 26cm

5th step width 40cm

Down to ground level

sloping 0 to 15cm

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix these steps?

Hi @SN (Sue)

I suggest speaking to your local builder or handy person concerning the revamp of your steps. You can then ask for a quote on how much it would cost to bring the steps back to the correct height and length. It would also be a good opportunity to ask what material you should use for your new steps.

It's possible to use wood, but it would all depend on the thickness of the concrete sides of your steps. Once you get your builder to inspect the area, they should be able to tell you if the sides of the steps can be used as anchor points.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of the repair project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SN
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric,

I have that in mind, I believe the side walls are also limestone as they are all part of a large retaining wall which someone decided to render.
We have a lot of strong winds which may have caused erosion to the limestone.
The anchor points will need to be strong as will the material for the treads.
Now to find someone who can build it with an eye for detail, 

Will post a finished photo
Thank you
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@SN 

No problems. One thing that may be an idea to try before you start thinking of tread with and height is to take a stroll around various steps with a tape measure :smile: You may look a little odd (I always have a tape ,measure somewhere around me) but if we think back to various stairs there are good ones and there are bad ones. If you find a set that feel comfortable take a measure and then at least you will have some knowledge on how it should work out.

Dave

SN
Growing in Experience

I have finally worked out the “how to” for my steps. 

Working from the top down fixing the top step first, I used bricks and a measure to test my theory.

so it will be limestone rounded steps when it gets to the bottom step, it will no longer be at ground level but a step up.

hopefully have found someone to do the job. 

Will completed project

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SN 

I'm glad you've found a solution, please don't forget to post a photo of the process so that our members will see how the steps were fixed. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to the start of the project.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@SN 

:laugh: Nice to hear! And like @EricL would love to see the pics when the job is done. When I figure a solution out to a job, somehow it makes the day run easier.

Dave

SN
Growing in Experience

CDDC0F92-BFC4-49CC-8AAA-A3E1021629ED.jpeg415F41B8-F88C-4356-A62B-D8FEBDEC16B2.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Those look brilliant, @SN!

Many thanks for sharing the results.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @SN 

:smile: Oh yeah! Thats a nice job! They look even and well spaced :smile:

One less thing to worry about, and what was the hardest part of the project? The decision, resources or how to approach it?

Dave

SN
Growing in Experience

Hi Dave,

I finally it out I placed bricks if different  thicknesses on the steps working from the top down (as I couldn't move the top step) 
As I got to the bottom of it there was obviously a huge step.
This was resolved by putting an extra step at the bottom.
I then approached Lewis who saw my vision and created it.
I am very happy with the result
Thank you for your input
SN

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects