Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of morning glory?

Kezzlesj
Getting Established

How to get rid of morning glory?

Morning_Glory_Flower.jpg

My husband and I have recently moved into a house that has been overrun with morning glory!!

We have sprayed it to keep it at bay but it's determined to keep growing.

We have a dog, and would really love to have nice vegetable gardens in the future so trying to use as little chemicals as possible.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this pest? Thanks!

Re: How to get rid of morning glory

Thanks for the suggestions! We have had a Eco pest sprayer come in and spray everything (forgot to mention it is an area of about 400m2 and espaces into the neighbours as well much to their disgust! Unfortunately though with all the winter weather it has started to sprout again before we have had a chance to get out there with a dingo and dig it all up. One day.. Haha
Kezzlesj
Getting Established

Great link - thanks!
Kezzlesj
Getting Established

You share the sentiments of our neighbors I'm sure! The owners before us loved the pest, then the property was vacant for a number of years which literally allowed it to grown over the back garage and all 900m2 of the backyard and was beginning on the house by the time we got stuck in to it. Absolutely killer of a job that was.. So in comparison it looks great now but sadly still a long way to go! Think the neighbours are appreciative that it's a start.. At least I hope so anyway!
Kezzlesj
Getting Established

Slowly slowly! Unfortunately, the large amounts of winter rain we have had have put a halt on removal, but we had it sprayed by an eco pest spray guy (we have a dog so have to be careful) which seemed to kill it all. Thanks to the rain though it's beginning to sprout again (amongst all the winter grass) - which we are doing our best to pull up as soon as we notice it. Next plan though is to get a dingo/kanga in and hopefully remove the top 10cm of soil (apparently that helps get rid of the roots and plant) and then lay black plastic down and hopefully re-cover/build up with new soil and make an attempt at a lawn. My husband has built some pallet Planters as we have come to realise we won't be able to plant anything edible in the soil as destructed as this sadly. Thankfully the planers look awesome anyway. Just look forward to the say we don't see a jungle of weeds in our backyard finally!! Appreciate everyone's suggestions :smile:
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @Kezzlesj. Glad to hear that you are having some success. All the very best keeping the pest at bay. Looking forward to another update soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

HI just adding to this chat as I have had a huge problem with morning glory from 3 neighbours It climbs over and under fences through tree branches etc

I was a farmer in a past life and attended many chemical handing courses but I am definitely not an expert, but think I may be able to help here

I use old jars to put my herbicide mix in so I dont affect surrounding plants or the soil but do this when not expecting rain so you dont get overflow

Usually roundup or similar with a bit of brush or bush herbicide Dicamba or metsulfuron and some water

Use a really strong mix (depends on what you are using and how big the plant is) and gather up a handful of the most vigorous recent growth of vines. Then twist or scrap the ropes of the vine gently so they are scratched but not broken and push that into the jar. 

The idea is to get the stems to absorb the mixture which it will circulate through the plant and eventually kill it but take care where yo place the jar away from kids dogs etc and perhaps elevated on a fence or tree with some wire Works a treat and over a couple of years doing this once a year I have eradicated mine when it used to cover my trees like a canopy

SO TRUE!!

I EXPOSED AS MANY RUNNERS AND ROOTS AS POSSIBLE, TWISTED AND SCRAPED OF SOME OF SKIN ON RUNNERS AND ROOTS, AND DOSED IT WELL WITH A DILUTED BORAX MIX. DISSOLVE 2 TBS BORAX IN 1/2 CUP HOT WATER.  ADD ANOTER 31/2 C WATER TO BRING IT TO 4 CUPS OF BORAX/WATER MIX,  AND DIP THOSE BRUISED RUNNERS AND KNOBBLY ROOTS IN THE MIX.  OR PUSH INTO CONTAINER AND LET IT SIT THERE OVERNIGHT OR LONGER. OF COURSE NOT WHERE CAT OR DOG CAN GET TO IT.

I ERADUICATED THAT POOR LOVELY MORNING GLORY IN MY BACKYARD A FEW YEARS AGO, BUT SOME STEALTHY RUNNERS RAN AWAY UNSCATHED AND THE NEXT YEAR QUICKLY CLIMBED ITOMY POMEGRANATE AND APRICOT TREE, EVEN INTO THE MULBERRY! SO, TOMORROW I WILL DO THE WHOLE PROCESS  AGAIN.

IT REALLY SADDENS ME TO BE SO MURDEROUS TO SUCH A BEAUTIFUL GLORIOUS FLOWER, BUT IT REALLY AND SO SADLY, VERY MADLY TOOK OVER.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ELISE2 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

The flower of the morning glory is indeed beautiful. But its behaviour is very much like a weed and overwhelms your garden. Dipping its stems into an enclosed container is an effective way of exposing the plant to the toxin without contaminating the soil. I'm afraid that it is a labour-intensive task as the plant must be dug up to remove its runners. I hope you are successful in removing them all.

If you have any other projects on the go, please don't forget to post an update. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what you are working on.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects