Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of onion grass?

witch-123
Just Starting Out

How to get rid of onion grass?

I would like some advise on how to get rid of the onion grass that grows in my garden. 

F9680FAE-4AE9-471E-93AD-3DFEDD54DBE1.jpeg

46A04E83-2B10-4928-B7BB-1828223A154E.jpeg

 it takes me 3 days to pull them all out as I have a bad back. Then the next day they are growing right back. 

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to get rid of onion grass?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @witch-123 and thanks for starting this discussion.

We have had a few community members share your frustration. You might like to read through these previous discussions on onion weed:

Hopefully some of the suggestions will help to save your back.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @witch-123 

I'm not a plant expert by any means but I have the same problem and I am currently trying weed mat and I cut out holes for my main plants to grow through. If it works for strawberry farmers it should work for my ornamental plants. But in your case I would take out the pebbles then cut holes for your main plants then lay the weed mat down and then cover up with the pebbles again. Hopefully the onion grass will not be smart enough to travel to the open parts of the weed mat : ) . Good luck and stay safe.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @witch-123,

@redracer01 has beaten me to it, and in this situation, I am also in favour of weed matting. Simply remove the stones and lay down matting over the area, you can then replace the stones.

You'll never be able to remove onion weed by hand in a garden bed that has stones, as when you pull the weed it will leave bulbs behind. Poison would be effective if you were to do several applications of it, but the weed mat method is favourable.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects