Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of this weed creeper?

alexi
Cultivating a Following

How to get rid of this weed creeper?

Hi friends,

we are plagued with this weed/creeper which has come and infiltrated from our neighbour. 
it now grows from our lawn and into our raised garden beds. 

any tips on how we rid ourselves of it. 
I took this photo after almost finished the lawn before I had the idea to ask you knowledgeable people. 
what is it and how can we get rid of it?

IMG_1297.jpeg

IMG_1296.jpeg

IMG_1298.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i get rid of this pest growth

Hi @alexi,

I can't quite pinpoint what this weed is, but our knowledgeable members @Noelle or @mich1972 might have some idea.

To eradicate it, you could consider a spot application of weedkiller with the Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush. Alternatively, as I see you have some other weeds in your lawn, you might like to try Yates 4L BuffaloPro Hose On Lawn Weed Killer, which typically knocks off a range of weeds, including broadleaf varieties.

If you weren't a fan of using weed killers, there's also the hand removal method with a hand weeder. Since there's a fair bit, I'd recommend going with a Fiskars 4 Prongs Xact Weed Puller.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @alexi 

The leaves and growth habit almost look like a convolvulus, aka bindweed, a flowering creeper that is sometimes used as a ground cover, but which can be quite invasive. Some species have silvery leaves, others bright green leaves like your photos.

Convolvulus have underground stems; they also self-seed like mad after flowering.

Does it flower in your neighbour's garden? Does the flower look something like this?

Noelle_0-1707009635128.jpeg

No matter what it is, @MitchellMc has given you some great advice. Using a weeding tool may not remove underground runners, but in time and with persistence you should be able to eradicate either by weeding or using a selective broadleaf lawn weeder product like that mentioned.

alexi
Cultivating a Following

Turns out the Mrs already did some homework on this, and found a much more 'established' growth.

Apparently a lily of the valley? Here's a close up photo of the flower. they're tiny flowers.

Not sure if that changes anything for recommendations of eradication

BackyardLilyOfTheValley.jpg

alexi
Cultivating a Following

Also on this note, we have 2 dogs.. Are any of these weedkiller options safe for dogs, and if not, can we keep them off the lawn (if a short window).

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Similar bell-shaped white flower to Lily of the Valley, but that's about the only similarities they share @alexi. The leaves are substantially different. Regardless of what the plant is, it's going to be a similar process. Given the size of the plant, you'd likely be best to pull it out by hand and paint weedkiller on any remaining material. You'll need to keep the dogs off the area for a day or at least until the weedkiller has dried.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects