Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to grow straight carrots in raised garden beds

Andy_J
Building a Reputation

How to grow straight carrots in raised garden beds

Hello Everyone,

I am new to gardening and tried my luck at growing carrots.

The carrots were OK but are stunted. Harvest pic

IMG_2733.jpg

So I wanted to see if anyone knows any tips or pointers to grow straight carrots.

Thank you in advance 

Andy

pjturner2008
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to grow straight carrots in raised garden beds

I grow my carrots in a plastic raised garden bed from Bunnings (only $29.95 and about 90 X 40 cm). Carrots like to germinate in the dark so I sow fairly thickly, cover with the finest layer of seed starting mix, water with a mist and then cover with damp cardboard. You need to check the seeds daily for sprouting after about 7 days. The moment you see sprouts emerging remove the cardboard. Keep them moist as they grow and when they are up to it deep water them often. I use a sifted premium potting mix with a bit of perlite and some organic slow release fertilizer added to it. The fertilizer has a bit more phosphorous in it to encourage root formation.

Mine aren’t very good.

Must try some of these tips.

32BAA78C-A46A-480C-A411-9DB4E62F563C.jpeg

2A66F10E-44F7-489C-B71A-2B3FAB17ACE2.jpeg

94BDD2F3-084A-4A97-815C-FE7AE67A18D8.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You and me both @Shane! What you've shown there is exactly how all my carrots turned out. I'm looking forward to a better crop next year after following this helpful advice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects