Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to grow tomatoes

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How to grow tomatoes

Tomato.png

Summer gardening for many Australians means tending to tomato plants. With some sun, water and a bit of care, it's not too difficult to ensure a bumper crop of tasty fruit. 

The ideal position for tomato plants is in full sun, protected from strong winds. Prepare the soil before planting by digging in some organic matter then water in thoroughly using a liquid fertiliser. Ease the seedlings out of the container and plant them at the same soil level as they were in the punnet. Water in the seedlings immediately after planting. Plants requiring staking should be planted at least one metre apart. Bush-type tomatoes should be planted 50cm apart.

Most tomato plants benefit from staking to encourage fruiting. It is best to stake early while the plant is young and to ensure a nice straight stem. The best plant ties are made from a soft material as they won’t cut into the stems as the plants grow. Any type of support structure may be used.

Tomatoes do require regular feeding. Apply granule fertiliser, supplemented with a soluable or liquid fertiliser regulary at recommended rates.

Regular watering is more effective than frequent light sprinkles. To prevent disease occurring avoid watering the foliage. Early morning around the base of the plant is the most beneficial method.

Experienced contributor Adam has shared a wonderful series of videos to help you to grow tomatoes, all the way from seed to harvest

If you need more assistance, feel free to reply below. We'd also love to hear your own tomato growing tips. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
barbs01
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to grow tomatoes

Thanks very much for that Jason 😀

barbs01
Cultivating a Following

Hello fellow gardeners, I have planted a new heirloom variety this year ( Pink Brandywine ) however I have noticed very slow growth and poor fruit development. The Four plants only have 1 or two tomatoes on them, not sure if this is normal or if something is missing. The other tomatoes I planted ( Mighty Red ) have taken off and plenty of fruit. Has anyone grown this variety or had similar experience? Thanks a lot 🙂

IMG20211212144153.jpg

IMG20211212144127.jpg

IMG20211211105927.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for keeping us updated on your tomato-growing journey @barbs01 and sorry to hear that you're having trouble growing a new variety.

Let me tag @Noelle and @Adam_W for their thoughts.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@barbs01 , just did a quick bit of research & I can't see anything that mentions 'Pink Brandywine' as being difficult to grow.
I have a 'go-to' blend I use when something just isn't moving. I apply this & this together as frequently as recommended. This blend works to nourish the soil while also delivery some very easily absorbed nutrition so I've found it works very effectively & quickly.
Just one question... are those tomatoes growing in a bed that had tomatoes in it last year?

barbs01
Cultivating a Following

@Adam_W 

Thanks for your reply Adam, and your suggestions. The tomatoes are in a fresh area of the garden, no tomatoes were planted in this area last year. I have fertilized the tomatoes and conditioned the soil really well with blood and bone, chicken poo, potash and intermittently with liquid seasol and powerfeed. The odd thing is the Mighty Red are flourishing in the same area. I have tested then soil pH and it's sitting at around 6, not sure if that's slightly  acidic? Thanks 😊

barbs01
Cultivating a Following

Thanks very much Stevie 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects