Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to keep my citrus plants healthy?

SarangR
Growing in Experience

How to keep my citrus plants healthy?

Hi Team,

Seeking for some guidance with regards to Citrus plants in my backyard.

Got a couple of citrus plants in my garden which seem to be healthy and flowering and want to maintain the same throughut the season.

Got a couple of queries as per below.

1) Is it recommended to apply neem oil during the flowering season to ensure plant does not get attacked by insects and leafminer.

2) Any particular fertilizer/add on that will asssist with plant growth.

Appreciate your support and assistance on the matter.

Cheers,

Sarang

IMG-1789.JPGIMG-1788.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Citrus plant query

Hi @SarangR,

Yates 500ml Pest Oil Concentrate can be used as an effective preventative measure to inhibit pest infestation throughout the growing season. I'd recommend you spray your plants thoroughly every two weeks. Ensure you coat all surfaces, including under the leaves. Never spray in the heat of the day, and preferably do so in the afternoon before sunset. If it is going to be quite warm the following day, go out early in the morning and hose the plants down. Your plants can be severely scorched if the oil coating is left on the leaves during higher temperature days in mid Summer.

Eco-Neem is only suitable for ornamental fruit trees.

When was the last time you applied fertiliser? If you haven't for quite some time, I'd recommend you apply Scotts Osmocote Citrus & Fruit Controlled Release Fertiliser. It feeds for six months, so you should be set for the season. If you're looking for an organic option, I'd suggest Richgro Organics Fruit And Citrus Plant Food. You'll need to apply this now, mid Summer and Autumn.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to keep my citrus plants healthy?

Hi @SarangR,

I've just had a chat with a colleague, and he's reminded me that eco-neem is only suitable for ornamental citrus and not for fruiting trees from which you plan on consuming the fruit. I do apologise for this error. Instead, I'd recommend Yates 500ml Pest Oil Concentrate, which is suitable.

I'll edit my original comment to avoid providing incorrect information to others reading your discussion.

Mitchell

SarangR
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc ,

Thank you very much for your response. I do have a follow up query. 

Can we still use pest oil during flowering ? I have been seeing some contradicting comments of not to use oil during flowring season hence want to check.

Cheers,

Sarang

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SarangR

In regards to your question, if you are using Yates 500ml Pest Oil Concentrate it is safe to use even when the plant is flowering. However, if you have the Glen Retreat mandarin variety, I suggest not spraying the plant.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects