Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level and compact the ground before building a deck on top?

leijiang
Getting Established

How to level and compact the ground before building a deck on top?

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on leveling and tamping the ground before building a deck.

After the plumber fixed the water leakage issue, a patch of my backyard has been left as shown in the photo. The patch is about 2x2m.  I am planning to build a deck on top to 1) make a nice resting corner and 2) have an elevated platform to protect the PVC pipe down there. 

My questions are,

1. What material should I use to fill and compact the area? Obviously want something to cover the pipes without putting too much load on them. The plumber suggested some soil and Tuscan on top. 
2. What tools do I need for the project? 

3. Any guidance for building deck?

Thank you. 

IMG_6797.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to level and compact the ground before building a deck on top

Hi @leijiang

A 20kg bag of gravel doesn't have a labelled volume, so I am unable to provide an answer to how many bags are in a cubic meter. It's widely accepted that you'll need around three to four 20kg bags of gravel per square metre to establish a layer of 50mm. So, you'll need around 12-16 bags for your project. I'd grab at least 14 and return any extra you don't need.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects