Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a DIY plant support cage?

MaggieH
Finding My Feet

How to make a DIY plant support cage?

I had been looking for the right plant support cage, not sure which one works the best and under my budget, so I decided to make my own from bamboo sticks and coir twine plant tie for my special needs, I don't have experience building a plant cage before and don't know which is best for vegetables like tomato, if you build one or know which one is best for tomato, please please reply the topic, thank you! 😊

product links that I am purchasing for the plant cage:

Bamboo sticks

coir twine plant tie

Bamboo sticks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a DIY plant support cage?

Hello @MaggieH

Thank you for sharing your question about how to make a plant support cage for a tomato plant.

I suggest laying the Gardman 120cm Natural Bamboo Garden Stake - 20 Pack down on the floor and create a square with the bamboo sticks. Once you have made the square use the Pillar Products 50m Natural Coir Twine Plant Tie to tie the corners together. Place another stick in the middle of the square vertically and another horizontally. Secure the sticks with the twine. Place the remaining sticks in a similar pattern but equally distant from each other. 

I have placed a pattern below for you to have a look at. This is the look we are after to give your tomato plants a place to crawl onto and grow. Please note that you will have to train the initial branches until they entwine themselves onto the lattice. 

Let me tag our experienced member @Adam_W for his recommendation.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I was planning to grow my veggies in pots so I don't think it will fit, what I was thinking is to use 4 sticks, place them into the soil so they get into a square shape, and then somehow attach twine ties around the sticks so it will kinda look like this: (Image down below).
pretend the wire (in the image) is the twine ties. And what I noticed about the bamboo sticks is that they are smooth, meaning it will be quite hard to attach the twine, I could hot glue it on, but surely it won't be stable... square-tomato-tower-1_LI.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MaggieH

Using a hot glue gun is a fantastic idea. I suggest using both materials to hold the bamboo sticks in place. Your proposed square layout is much better and will stand on its own without having to lean against anything. I recommend forming the basic square framework and using hot glue to join them together. Then use the twine to reinforce all the corners once the glue has set. This should provide you with a strong plant support cage.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects