Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make my orange blossom bush grow higher/faster?

itoen
Finding My Feet

How to make my orange blossom bush grow higher/faster?

We have 3 orange blossom bush at the bottom of our front porch. They are skinny and almost a metre high, I’d like to find a way to accelerate their height growth as they provide good privacy to our front door. A friend recommended Seasol which I have used once in the last two weeks and noticed today that our bush has started flowering... I am an amateur gardener so am not sure if this means if they are growing.

Do I keep using Seasol on them every 2 weeks or are there other other ways to help them grow faster?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make my orange blossom bush grow higher/faster?

Have you fertilised them at all recently, @itoen? Seasol is a tonic that helps stressed plants and is like a hot soup when you're sick on a cold Winter's day. Soup isn't enough to sustain someone, and you need to have decent meals as well. Perhaps a steak with mushrooms and chips? A fertiliser is a complete meal, and I'd suggest a good feed with Scotts Osmocote 500g All Purpose Controlled Release Fertiliser. If applied at the prescribed rate, it will feed the plants for a full 12months. 

What amount of direct sun do they receive throughout the day? Lanky plants can also be an indication that they are searching for light.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the tip. I have never fertilised them before as they were just a small shrub when I moved in 2 years ago. They face north west so i would think they get enough sunlight during the day. 

I dont know anything about fertiliser, the only type I am aware of is manure and not big on the smell.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The Scotts Osmocote 500g All Purpose Controlled Release Fertiliser would be perfect as it has no smell. If there is adequate sunlight, then it sounds like they just need a feed. 

Please update us on their progress after applying the suggested fertiliser, and let us know if you have any more questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects