Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make stepping stones for bridge?

Jcor
Just Starting Out

How to make stepping stones for bridge?

I want to make two stepping stones for my bridge across our garden. The dimensions are only 630x300x70. I have built the frame. What do I use to make the blocks? Are there bags I can buy or do I go to a supplier and get the sand, cement and stone? Never done them before. Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make stepping stones for bridge?

Hello @Jcor

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about making stepping stones for a bridge.

If you've built the frame for your stepping stone, I suggest using Australian Builder's 20kg Concrete Mix. I suggest mixing the concrete in a bucket and going for a soft mix. If it has the consistency of toothpaste, I suggest adding more water. If you are removing the frame make sure to spray the sides with WD40 before putting in the concrete. 

Before you begin it is always practical to decide what stones you would like to place on top of the step. You can use Jack 1kg Clear Glass Gem Decorative Pebble, Tuscan Path 10kg 10 - 25mm Polished Mix Pebbles and Tuscan Path 30-35mm 1kg White Moroccan Pebbles. There is a wide variety of choices so please take your time.

To reinforce your step, I suggest using Saxon 90cm x 5m Chicken Wire Netting. Cut it to size and place it in the middle of your step then add the concrete over it. Once you've flattened the top of the step it's time to set the stones and pebbles in place. In order for you not to take too much time, I propose designing the layout of the pebbles on the floor before you put them in the step. Make sure to give the step enough time to cure before you use it. I suggest at least a week, if used too early it might crack and splinter. 

If you have any other questions we can help with please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to make stepping stones for bridge?

Hi @Jcor,

further to Eric's comments, a few tips from my experience:

• Ensure your base is solid and compressed. Best to have a layer of compressed road base underneath your framework. If not, your pour might crack as the ground shifts over time.
  • Use a stick to poke the poured concrete in order to remove air pockets. Do this across the entire concrete area and depth. Professionals use a powered vibrator for this.
  • Check that your frame is *very* solid. Wet concrete is heavy and you want to make sure it doesn't move your frame. Anchor it well in the ground.
  • I'm using a wheelbarrow to mix the concrete. Whatever your container, wash it immediately after pouring is done to avoid concrete bits sticking to it. Same for the tools that came into contact with the concrete.

Lastly, if you feel a little overwhelmed or unsure doing this for the first time, do a little trial piece that you can remove later. This will give you more confidence.

Good luck!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects