Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove Buffalo lawn runners & weeds?

jb2179
Just Starting Out

How to remove Buffalo lawn runners & weeds?

Hi

I have two questions if somebody could assist pls.

1. I have only had these runners appear 

the last two Autumns..the lawn is 5 yrs old.

2. How do i best treat this weed, i get it each year at this time.

Thanks

20240520_113019.jpg

20240520_113031.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove Buffalo lawn runners & weeds?

Hello @jb2179 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your Buffalo runners.

I'm currently unaware of a method of controlling Buffalo runners chemically. The method I can only suggest is to manually remove the runners to prevent them from spreading further. Unfortunately, Buffalo runners can be aggressive so it's best to keep taking them out in order to stay in control.

In regards to the other weeds in your lawn, it all depends on what they are. For example, using the Yates 2.4L BuffaloPro Weed 'N' Feed Hose On Weed Killer. It will effectively control bindi, capeweed, clovers, dandelion and thistles along with wireweed.

There also direct weed controllers such as Yates 1L 490g/L Zero Weed Killer Super Concentrate. This needs to be applied directly to the weed only and must not be sprayed in your garden.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a proper mask when using garden chemicals. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @jb2179 and @EricL 

A lawn weeder that is not "buffalo friendly" may assist in taking out the unwanted buffalo runners. Scotts Lawn Builder Weed, Feed & Green Up in the yellow bottle with the black label is for lawns other than buffalo, as the weedkillers in it may damage buffalo. It could be worth a try if you want to eradicate those pesky runners you obviously do not want in your lawn.

jb2179
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric,

So are the runners likely to cause issues with the lawn? 

From memory last year I started to remove them but they left patches so i just left them in the end.

As summer approached I believe they just disappeared in into the established lawn.

Curious why they become so prominent this time of year.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jb2179 

From a maintenance point of view, I suggest removing them even if you get patches. For those areas, I suggest aerating the soil to make sure that its ready for re-seeding.  

By overwhelming the patched area with new grass, there should be no spot for the runners to grow. It's possible that the runners are part of the lifecycle of the Buffalo grass. 

If you need further assistance. please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects