Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove this moss?

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

How to remove this moss?

Hello, 

just wondering if this is a form of moss and how to get rid of it? I don’t remember r having it when I moved in and it has slowly appeared over time, not sure if it’s an issue if not but I did read it could be a moisture issue from rain, drainage etc it’s been this way for over 6 months and wanted to see if I can do anything about  it? 

thank you.D573C8F7-01BC-45F7-ACA5-3F99051B154D.png95B9D4FD-DDF7-4BFF-BA58-D661036C5761.png3FD224AB-02CF-4348-A707-3619BAA01EAA.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: possible moss?

Hi @Newgreenthumb,

Moss growth on pebbles is a relatively common occurrence. The best way to address this growth would be when you first see it and with an outdoor moss treatment like 30 Seconds. These products will kill the moss and stop it from growing. You might need to use them yearly to keep the issue under control. 

At this stage, you've now got a substantial amount of organic material which has grown on your pebbles. I'd still recommend spraying the area with 30 Seconds Outdoor Cleaner, but you'll need to wait for the organic material to break down over the following months and dissipate.

As a more permanent solution, you could look at adding drainage to the area, but if this side of the house is in shadow, the moss might continue to grow regardless.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc ….

I have seen some methods online, with baking soda etc but I think it’s best I go for something stronger. It has only appeared this mid to late last year and wasn’t here before. Definitely in the area with no sunlight so not sure drainage would help a lot, but maybe still a possibility.

thank you again 

@MitchellMc hi again. 

just a question. Looking to purchase the suggested product for the moss. 

reading reviews etc it mentions, scrub and wash away, is this also recommended for the pebble pavement? Would that not spread it out? I assume it’s best to use a rake when finished but not able to pick anything up? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Newgreenthumb

The product my colleague recommended should work without any scrubbing necessary. Only when in extreme cases where the moss or mould has developed a large thick mass will it need to be scrubbed off. However, if you do decide to use rake, please make sure to keep the affected pebbles within their own area. Please make sure to give the 30 Seconds Outdoor Cleaner enough time to effectively work before washing it off.

I also suggest giving the rake a very thorough clean with a stiff brush along with soap and water. This is to make sure that all contaminants have been washed away from the rake.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi @Newgreenthumb,

You can use the roof treatment version that doesn't require scrubbing or rinsing off. 

Mitchell

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

@Eric 

thank you for your reply.

yes, this was my question if I need to wash it off. I have looked online for some remedies and there are a lot with vinegar, washing detergent etc but the moss turns a brown colour. Does this happen with the 30 seconds do you know? 
just wondering what to do if there is large brown patches after it dies off. This was more the areas I wanted to rake if it turns brown as not all the the area affected has pebbles. Some have just dirt with moss and some pebbles. 

thank you 

@Newgreenthumb,

Any product you use to kill the moss will leave it looking brown. It's an organic material; in some places, there is more moss than pebbles. As @EricL mentioned, you should allow enough time for the product to kill the moss and then rake through the pebbles to dislodge it from them. The dead moss will decompose over the following months and turn into dirt. It would likely be a good idea if you purchased some more pebbles to place over this area. Next time when you see the moss starting to grow, it would be best to address it immediately before it builds up significantly on the pebbles.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects