Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive Pittosporum silver sheen?

dhana-mite
Just Starting Out

How to revive Pittosporum silver sheen?

IMG_3162.jpeg

 Hi,

I have planted Pittosporous silver sheen in my backyard and as you could notice in the picture, branches has a patches and leafs falling off

can you please help me to save those plants 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pittosporous silver sheen (Dying / branch has patches)

Hello @dhana-mite 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your pittosporum plant.

To revive a dying pittosporum plant, you should start by assessing the situation to identify the cause of its decline, which could be due to issues like overwatering, underwatering, poor soil quality, pests, or disease. Once you've pinpointed the problem, take action accordingly. 

Proper watering is crucial. Pittosporums prefer well-draining soil, so ensure that you water the plant when the top inch of soil becomes dry. Adjust the frequency based on your local climate and soil conditions to avoid overwatering, which can lead to root rot. Check the quality of the soil. Pittosporums thrive in slightly acidic to neutral soil, so amend it with organic matter like compost or well-rotted manure to improve its quality.

In the spring, apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer to provide essential nutrients. Be cautious not to over-fertilize, as this can harm the plant as well.

Inspect your pittosporum for signs of pests and diseases. If any issues are detected, promptly treat them using the appropriate measures, such as insecticidal soap or fungicides. Adding a layer of mulch around the base of the plant can help conserve moisture, regulate soil temperature, and reduce weed competition.

Ensure that your pittosporum is receiving the right amount of sunlight. Most pittosporum varieties thrive in full to partial sun, but some can tolerate shade. Adjust the plant's location if necessary.

Reviving a plant takes time, so be patient and persistent in your care. Even after addressing the issues, it may take several weeks or months for your pittosporum to show signs of recovery.

I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to diagnose a sick plant by @Noelle

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects