Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive weeping cherry?

MYC
Building a Reputation

How to revive weeping cherry?

After 2022 with such rain in Melbourne,  our new planted weeping cherry was bare for the next 12 months.  We dug deep for bare root planting in September,  but no buds, no flowers.  

Last February got another weeping cherry woth branches of leaves in big pot. Prepared soil dug deep as instructions,  add perlite and gypsum for better drainage.   Add good planting soil (Seasol soil).  In Spring 2023 had a few small flowers.  But since no green leaves, despite of watering moderately and not over watering nor underwater ingredients, the tree is no life. Morning sun.   See photo.  Help, what should I do?

1000038518.jpg

1000038530.jpg

1000038524.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: second failure planting weeping cherry

Hello @MYC 

I'm sorry to hear that your second attempt at planting a weeping cherry tree has been unsuccessful. If I recall correctly the best time to transplant this type of tree is in mid to late winter when it is dormant.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Weeping cherry trees dying? by @Meloncat 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.   

Please remember that Bunnings has a Perfect Plant Promise. All our plants are guaranteed for 12 months, so if you’re not 100% happy, return your plant (with receipt) and we’ll refund it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @MYC 

As @EricL has said, the best time for planting deciduous trees is in mid winter, while they are without leave and dormant. Planting in late summer is not a great idea as the soil and weather are likely hot which increases the transplant trauma.

The other thing I don't like about your process is that you dug a deep hole, added perlite and other materials to lighten the soil and then put the tree in.  What you effectively created was a sump into which moisture from surrounding soil and watering will drain, thus drowning the tree's roots.

Deciduous trees are best planted in mid winter, bare-rooted (no soil around the roots) and planted into the native soil that has had nothing added apart from some fertiliser. The sooner the roots grow and adapt to the native soil, the better.

MYC
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric, Yes, I did plant in late Winter.  Followed every advice  but disappointed. 

MYC
Building a Reputation

First three I had was bare rooted and planted in end of Winter while it was still cold.  

2nd tree was a tall matured on big pot with weeping  branches of leaves. Was advised to dig deep, add perlite and gypsum for better drainage.  So followed advice,  and the outcome as seen in photos,  no flowers no lush green leaves.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MYC 

I'm beginning to suspect that the soil you are planting in is not ideal for the Weeping Cherry tree. If the soil in the area is the same as the one in the pot it should continue to thrive.

I propose building a raised bed and filling it with the soil that Weeping Cherry trees thrive in. If it survives the transplant, it's likely that the soil you are panting in is missing something or is not compatible with the Weeping Cherry.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects