Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to save my plants! Absolute Newb in the garden!

DarylS
Growing in Experience

How to save my plants! Absolute Newb in the garden!

Hi All, 

Desperately seeking some help to save my plants. 
I'm a complete novice when it comes to gardening. 
These plants are located in Frankston VIC. The soil is very much sand here. I did put some potting mix soil in before i planted these plants about 1yr ago now.  
By my own admission, I am a lazy gardner and rarely water the plants (but am very keen to make a mends, turns out standing out there with the hose is actually somewhat relaxing and rewarding i only recently found out). I've tried seasol solutions and also a fungicide to little avail over 6 months ago. 

1. I have a Rubber Tree in a pot on my front porch that has some leaves turning brown, is it fungus? 
The front porch receives next to no sun for the majority of the day, then baking hot sun (when it decides to come out in Melb) from about 4pm-7pm. 

2. I have these green ball like grass things, i can't recall what they were called.
They were going strong but browning on the tips and now they're browning quite considerably throughout. Are they lacking water? 
They receive sun from about 3pm onwards. 

3. I have these varigated things also i transposed from a friends yard around the corner however they have developed holes in the leaves and don't look so spritely. Again is this fungus? 

4. I have two ball tree's which were making steady progress but have recently begun to turn brown on the tips of some of the leaves. 
Again, is it likely they just need water? 

5. Nandina's. Meant to be the hardiest of the plants however they're also failing to thrive? 
They receive sun from about 12pm onwards. 

If i need to just move back the mulch on top and turn over the soil, perhaps mix it in with something or add something to it then i'm okay with that. Would just like to save my plants and have a front of house facade that i can be proud of! 
Looking forward to your input!IMG_9231.jpegIMG_9228.jpegIMG_9227.jpegIMG_9232.jpegIMG_9233.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to save my plants! Absolute Newb in the garden!

Hello @DarylS

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to save my plants.

My first suggestion for your Rubber Plant is to do a soil test. Place two inches of your finger into the top of the soil and feel if it is wet. If it is odds are you are overwatering the plant. Rubber plants, in general, prefer to be watered once every  4 to 5 days. I suggest tilling the topsoil and making sure you have good drainage. The other reason your Rubber plant is unhealthy could be the soil in the pot no longer have nutrients in it. I suggest Scotts Osmocote 500g Pots, Planters & Indoors Controlled Release Fertiliser. Too much sun is also causing the leaves to turn brown.

Looking at your other plants it looks like they are suffering from under/overwatering. Covering the base of the plant with mulch acts as a moisture sealer and keeps the water in the ground from evaporating too fast. I recommend pulling the mulch back from the base of the plant to allow the soil to breathe. Please keep us updated.

Let me tag our experienced member @Adam_W for his recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DarylS
Growing in Experience

Re: How to save my plants! Absolute Newb in the garden!

Thanks Eric for getting back to me, much appreciated! 

I'll give those tips a whirl and see how we get on!

Cheers, 

Daryl

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects