Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat pimples on orchid flowers?

monty
Finding My Feet

How to treat pimples on orchid flowers?

there are pimples on the flowers of my orchids. it is only in one plant. is it contagious to other plants (orchids). can any body please help me on how to treat it?

20221014_154717.jpg20221014_154709.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to treat pimples on orchid flowers?

Hello @monty

Thank you very much for sharing your question about your orchid. Most of the common orchid ailments are either due to insects, the weather, fungus and bacteria. However, a viral infection is also a possibility. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the leaves of the orchid, specifically any that have damage on them? 

Just to be on the safe side please make sure to wash your hands very well as viral infections can easily be transmitted to other orchids simply by touch. I also suggest putting this particular orchid away from your main batch of orchids so that it lessens the possibility of infection.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @monty 

The leaves of this cymbidium are exhibiting classic symptoms of virus - those black streaks in the lower photo in particular. Viral diseases are not treatable and Eric is right in saying they are easily transferred from plant to plant simply by touch as well as by insect vectors - especially sap-sucking insects that move from plant to plant in the blink of an eye.

I would be less concerned about the pimples on the flowers, which may also be symptomatic of virus.  Sorry to say but this plant probably needs to be discarded to save the rest of your collection.  Wrap it in plastic and dispose of it in your household rubbish - do not compost it or add it to your green waste bin.

Make sure you practise good hygiene when handling your orchids.  Disinfect your hands when moving from plant to plant and also wipe down tools with methylated spirits or dip them in a weak solution of household bleach to prevent disease transfer between plants.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm sure @monty appreciates your expert advice, @Noelle, even though it would be disappointing to hear.

Many thanks.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Did you happen to purchase this orchid from us in the last year @monty? I just wanted you to know that we have a Perfect Plant Promise, where if you're not 100% happy with a plant purchased from us in the last 12 months, you can return it to the store with a proof of purchase for a refund. It's a sensational offer, especially for those new to gardening and seasoned gardeners alike.

Sorry to hear about your plant. You might like to see what's on offer at your local store and treat yourself to a new variety.

Mitchell

monty
Finding My Feet

to all who replied,

though it is disheartening to read your replies about my orchids, i thank you each one of you for your time and response.

looking after this plant for years with loving care then boom!

again, thanks to all.

stay safe.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I feel your pain, @monty. It's never nice to lose a plant that you've cared for and enjoyed dearly.

Please remember to reach out anytime you need assistance around the home and garden; we're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects