Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas to tidy up side yard

unawarek
Cultivating a Following

Ideas to tidy up side yard

We currently have a side yard that the previous owner filled with rocks and plants. It looks pretty untidy, and the rocks are falling down the side into the drain. Here's what it looks like:

20191101_105927.jpg

What can I do to tidy this area up? Thanks!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas to tidy up side yard

Hi @unawarek,

Welcome to Workshop. We're sure that you'll get plenty of helpful advice and inspiration for this project and many others to come in the future from our clever and creative members. 

Narrow areas down the side of a house can be tricky to work with, can't they? Can you please tell us whether they are garden edging strips between the rocks and the drain? How are they staying upright and how are the rocks getting past and into the drain?

Take a look at this popular project - Makeover for the side of the house by @shayden06. You might like to borrow some ideas from it. On the thread I also shared what we did at the side of our place, which is a little similar to what you are working with.

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
unawarek
Cultivating a Following

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the link! 

There's no garden edging - the rocks are just piled up on the side, on top of the soil. I was thinking of maybe removing the bulk of the stones and plants, and just having pots/raised garden beds along the side. Just need to think of a way to repurpose the stones! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries @unawarek,

Sorry it looks like rusted garden edging strips on the bottom right photo you shared. What is that line in the pic about two thirds down the shot?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
unawarek
Cultivating a Following

Oh, thats the old irrigation tube put in by the previous owner. Half of it is buried under the stones, and the other half has lifted out.

Shane
Having an Impact

You need garden edging of some sort. Whether you ditch the rocks or not, you'll always have to keep soil, rocks, mulch or whatever from going into the drain. https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/garden/landscaping/garden-edging might give you some ideas, although it strangely doesn't include timber. 

It seems like a pretty big area and is currently pretty stark. Maybe some raised garden beds for vegetables or some a vertical garden along the fence?

I'd also consider using paving paint on the concrete. 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Some ideas...

72fbedbb53f4a06ab530b5de58a05dfe.jpg  Aslopingsideway.jpgcontemporary-garden.jpg  home-design.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects