Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it normal for my hedge to turn yellow?

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

Is it normal for my hedge to turn yellow?

Hey guys, 

I had a gardener come over to trim the hedge and do some weed work. I noticed a patch on the hedge is a yellow shade and wondering if that’s normal?

thank you.

image.jpg274E6884-1973-486E-A0A9-75713B72F6AE.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: is my hedge ok! lol

Hi @Newgreenthumb,

Can you recall if that section was slightly more over-grown than the rest? When a tree or hedge gets out of shape, and the outer leaves overshadow the interior leaves, the interior leaves turn yellow and fall off as if they are not needed. If that section was slightly bushier than the rest, it could have begun the process of dropping the interior leaves.

You might like to provide some close-up images of those leaves on the top of them and below. If we can get a better look, we might be able to diagnose any other issues like disease or insect infestation. In the absence of any other ailments, I'd suggest applying some slow-release fertiliser and monitoring the situation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

343AB0D5-F3FD-4EC0-84E1-4592681ABF47.jpeg593A8930-8412-42B8-BE6D-C2CD8A26F7C6.jpegD9D0727B-9418-44EB-939C-EA6241CA8961.jpeg

@MitchellMc hi, thanks for the reply. I missed this notification

I’ve posted three photos. I don’t remember it being fuller in this area, but it could have been as it was quite overgrown before the Gardner came out. 

thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Newgreenthumb

Thanks for posting those close up photos. From looking at your pictures I don't see any bite marks on the leaves, there are no rust spots and there is no curling evident in the leaves. However, the colours appearing on your leaves are often an indication of either poor water drainage, too much fertilizer or not enough and poor soil condition or lack of nutrients. 

Can you tell us a bit about your hedge? How often do you water it? Does the water stay or drain away quickly? Have you added any fertilizer to it lately? Has this discolouration happened before or is this the first time you've seen it? Any other information you can share will be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Newgreenthumb 
@EricL has covered most of the bases there. Depending on where you are I'd be leaning towards drainage with all the wet weather.
The hedge is a pittosporum and they are notorious for reacting badly to poor drainage although in your case it looks well established so it may be a passing thing.
Maybe investigate the drainage side of things and just watch & see.
A good preventative is soil has been too wet and fungal problems might happen is to use a preventative treatment or two of Anti-Rot. Really useful stuff. Just mix it up in a watering can and apply around base of plants.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects