Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is this aster that grows like a weed

Pcan
Growing in Experience

Is this aster that grows like a weed

20211021_110737.jpg

How do I get rid of it?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is this aster that grows like a weed

Hello @Pcan

It very much looks like Weedy Aster.  Most weedy varieties of aster produce flowers that have a bright yellow central disc that is actually considered tiny flowers. They are surrounded by a ray of petals that can range in color but generally are white, purple, or pale pink in color.

I recommend using Yates 250ml BuffaloPro Selective Bindii And Broadleaf Weed Killer Concentrate. It's safe to use on Kikuyu, Couch, Buffalo, Queensland blue, Bent, Fescue, Paspalum, and Ryegrass lawns. Please note that this is a concentrate, make sure to read the instructions on how to dilute the product before using it.

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Pcan
Growing in Experience

Hello Eric,

Thanks.

Need more help. What grass is in my garden? Here is a pic.

20211022_185342.jpg

And following are weeds

20211023_115113.jpg

Rag Weed.jpg

20211022_185357.jpg

Do we have a 3 in 1, granulated, broadcast able product to take care of post, pre emergence of weeds and fertiliser?

My lawn size is 260 sqm.

I ordered  HERBICIDE ALL PURP ROUNDUP 3L RTU I/N: 0090569, before this post. Will use this for the weeds.

If this kills grass, will do selective spraying.

If not will switch to your recommendation. I don't know my grass type being new to the area.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Pcan,

@EricL will be back on the site after the weekend and might have other recommendations. The Yates 250ml BuffaloPro Selective Bindii And Broadleaf Weed Killer Concentrate will kill a variety of broadleaved weeds, so I would spray it over everything and then deal with anything it doesn't kill separately. There's a good chance it will kill at least the weeds in the last three images. In your first picture, I'm not quite sure if that's your lawn or weeds. It appears to be winter grass (considered a nuisance weed), which has overgrown your buffalo or other lawn. You'll likely need to use Winter grass killer to get rid of it. Have a look to see if there is a coarser grass beneath the spindly one with seeds.

We have Scotts Lawn Builder 4kg + Weedkill Slow Release Lawn Fertiliser, but it's not suitable for Buffalo lawn.

Round-up kills everything, so I wouldn't recommend spraying it onto weeds in your lawn. The over-spray will kill the grass around the weed leaving large patches.

Mitchell

Pcan
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

The first picture is of the lawn grass and you suggest taken over by winter grass. Now am not sure if buffalo grass or some other type lies below.

Is buffalo grass the common one in the area?

I am going to try out the yates product mentioned. 

Will try the garden center they seem to be open.

Regards

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Pcan,

Buffalo grass is one of the most common lawn types. However, it could be another variety. Winter grass is often taller, spindly and has seeds similar to what is pictured.

You might like to do a Click & Collect at your local Bunnings store if that's convenient.

Mitchell

Pcan
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

@MitchellMc 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Have sprayed the Yates 250ml BuffaloPro Selective Bindii And Broadleaf Weed Killer Concentrate.

Not much success as the Aster, Oxalis and Crab Grass persists. Dandelions, winter grass and have gone.

Didn’t have Bin DII in the lawn, but elsewhere HERBICIDE ALL PURP ROUNDUP 3L RTU I/N: 0090569 did a good job.

Have done dethatching (a great workout) and propagated PowerFeed 4kg Troforte LawnFeed.

Still way to go.

Have brown patches in the area where I put in power feed. Not sure if it is fungal or just summers.

Could you suggest what I can do for Aster, Oxalis and Crab Grass. I can use round up, but will end up with patches.

Grass is green but condition is just about average with say 20% or less weeds.

Do you hire aerators and gardening equipment like wheeled seed/fertiliser propagators etc?

Also looking to hire a platform ladder and a light hedge trimmer (I have a pole trimmer).

Things that can fit into my sedan car 😊

Have tagged @noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

Thanks

Regards

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Pcan,

Creeping Oxalis can be killed with Amgrow 250ml Bin-Die Selective Lawn Weeder. For the Aster and Crabgrass, you might need to use Roundup/Zero and a Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush. That will allow you to apply your choice of glyphosate without spraying the surrounding grass.

We don't have aerators, wheeled seed/fertiliser spreaders, hedge trimmers or platform ladders for hire. However, some reasonably budget-friendly aeratorsfertiliser spreaders, hedge trimmers, and platform ladders are available for purchase.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Pcan
Growing in Experience

Thanks will try them. 

Pcan
Growing in Experience

Had applied the  Yates 250ml BuffaloPro Selective Bindii And Broadleaf Weed Killer Concentrate

Date 10 November 2021

Result: Average but contributed to further application as mentioned below.

Then I applied the Yates 12,5 kg Weed and Feed Granules

Date Feb March 2022

Result: Not bad, grass greeen and lush, but crawling grass with nodes persisted. Overall satisfactory.

May entering June 2022:

The following are reappearing, which I can roughly identify

Broad leaf ones:

Dandeloin 

Bindii

Small leaf ones:

Oxalis

Clover

Crows foot

Nut grass

Winter grass

Question:

Do we have a pre and post emergent granulated weed control with fertiliser that last a year?

What should I apply in this season?

Thanks

Regards

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects