Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is this safe for garden bed??

yana
Getting Established

Is this safe for garden bed??

Hello, Can I please know is this safe for garden bed???

Thanks 

D8DC922F-79BF-41E2-BFF0-7CE131AA22A1.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is this safe for garden bed??

Hello @yana

Thank you for sharing your question about MicroPro pine decking being used on your garden bed.

According to the manufacturer's website, you can use this in a raised garden bed. Their only condition is to use a plastic barrier so that none of the chemicals they used will leech into the soil. Here is a link to their FAQ MicroPro Frequently Asked Questions. Your question is number twelve on their list.

Here are some links if you are looking for ideas and inspiration:

Please let me know if you need more information.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
yana
Getting Established

 Hi, @EricL I looking for a safe wood or timber that I can use it as a post as photo that I highlight. Is there safe wood I can use as a post?? 

Thanks 

18765E2D-66DC-4C51-A20B-D5A59CB57AD3.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @yana

If you are referring to the post in that picture in the garden assembly, yes it can be used. I would hazard a guess that it might be a 100 x 100mm Rough Sawn Treated Pine - 2.4m. Do you need a particular size to use as a post? If you tell me the size you need, I can try and search for you. Please remember if you use treated timber in your garden bed you must use a plastic sheet to separate the wood from direct contact with the soil. 

If you need more information please let me know.

Eric

yana
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL for your response, I checked that rough sawn treated pine is CCA treated. Just to make sure , It is safe to use … right ? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @yana

If you want it to be very safe I suggest using this one 100 x 100mm x 3.0m Sawn Cypress Post. It has natural protection against termites and does not contain any chemicals that will leach into the soil. Do not use timber with CCA preservatives in your garden.

If you need more information please let me know.

Eric

yana
Getting Established

Hi @EricL  , I checked But this item is no longer available to buy in Bunning . 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @yana

My apologies that this timber is no longer available. I recommend using a 200 x 50mm 2.4m H4 Micropro Sienna Pine Sleeper. It is ideal for landscaping, garden beds, parks, and children's playgrounds. If you are building your own garden bed we would love to see your ideas.

Here is a link to give you ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular raised garden beds

Let me tag our experienced member @Adam_W and see if they have other timber recommendations for raised garden beds.

If you need more advice or information please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects