Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kikuyu lawn not green after mowing

gitzy
Growing in Experience

Kikuyu lawn not green after mowing

Hi, 

I have Kikuyu grass in my lawn. I mow once in 10 days and water 2-3 times a week. But every time, I mow the lawn, it comes out brown and dried up. Please see the pictures for reference. 

Any help would be much appreciated as it is very sad to see the lawn like that. 

GitzyWhatsApp Image 2021-03-01 at 11.32.52 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-03-01 at 11.32.57 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-03-01 at 11.32.57 PM (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-03-01 at 11.32.57 PM (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-03-01 at 11.32.57 PM.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kikuyu lawn not green after mowing

Hi @gitzy,

My first impression is that the lawn is being mowed quite short. The shorter you keep the lawn, the more effort it requires to look full and not expose the roots and soil. Cutting off the blades can expose lower less green portions of the leaf blade and sheath, resulting in some wilting and yellowing. It wouldn't be a bad idea to up the height level on your mower at least one notch. Kikuyu should be cut at 30-40mm, and never more than 1/3 of the total grasses height should be removed.

I'd suggest starting to improve your lawn by aerating and applying a 10mm layer of top dressing. You can then overseed with Kikuyu to fill in the patches, and once it has established, fertilise. If you haven't fertilised recently, your lawn might also be deficient in nitrogen.

Let me mention one of our gardening experts, @Adam_W, to see if he has any advice.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gitzy
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the information and mentioning the products@MitchellMc . I will give it a go. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@gitzy,

Let us know how you go as I'm sure it will help other members of the community struggling with their lawns.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects