Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lawn start-up post wall completion

bengroll
Growing in Experience

Lawn start-up post wall completion

So despite the wet winter, I managed to get some walls put into my sloping block and a terrace built.

Now it's time to put in a grassy area on the terraced area at the top of the steps. Any tips and tricks? 

PXL_20220916_224919195.jpg

Obviously I need soil first. The "dirt" there is mostly silty clay (a soil report pre-build).

What would be the "ideal" soil to put in? There is drainage behind the wall: would there be anything else needed before putting down the soil?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lawn start-up post wall completion

That's some impressive engineering and installation work @bengroll!

I'm a little hesitant to say just fill the remaining height with topsoil/underlay mix, and you are ready to plant your lawn. It's great that you've sorted the drainage for the retaining walls, but I'm a little concerned that this silty clay may turn your terrace into an infinity pool. When you say there's drainage behind the wall, is this just gravel placed behind it that allows the water to drop down to the next terrace or is there Agi-pipe at the base of the wall that transfer the water off elsewhere? I suspect that you've likely had these walls engineered, and some fairly serious drainage is going on there. I just want to be sure that you're not going to see any pooling water on the terrace and end up with a soggy lawn.

If you can let us know what type of drainage was installed, I can then call in one of our experts to give the opinion.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bengroll
Growing in Experience

G'day @MitchellMc .

Yep all done by a contractor so (hopefully) all above board.

There are agi-drains all along the bases of the walls leading to a collection and drainage point around the corner, so hopefully that will suffice for any rains. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sounds like you have the drainage sorted @bengroll. In that case, you're right to go ahead with adding topsoil and your turf. Check out this helpful step-by-step guide: How to lay turf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

bengroll
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc .

The big question is: turf it or seed it? 

Price wise and chances of success seeing how I definitely do not have green thumbs.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @bengroll

I'm putting my vote to turf, unfortunately, I have a very poor track record when it comes to seedlings and seeds. Having something that's already growing should theoretically make it easier to maintain. Just don't forget to water the turf and you should have a nice grassy terrace in no time.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects