Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-maintenance backyard ideas wanted

trietnguyen
Getting Established

Low-maintenance backyard ideas wanted

Hi everyone, 

I have not been able to attend to my backyard for several months due to various reasons. I have got a gardener to remove all the weeds from the grounds for me. If I do not have a lot of time to spend and want something low-maintenance, what do you suggest?

I'm thinking about mulching most of the backyard (roughly 180 square metre) including the veggie patch and leaving a small part as lawn. Another idea is planting ground cover plants as alternatives to lawns, but not sure if it is actually low maintenance and weather resistant (I'm based in Melbourne and often go away for at least a month during summer).

Much appreciated in advance.

Triet

IMG-3885.jpgIMG-3883.jpgIMG-3882.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low-maintenance backyard ideas wanted

Hi @trietnguyen 

If you're looking for a place to start, I suggest drawing it out with pen and paper. Look at some of the links we suggested and get the parts that you really like and feel will line up with your objectives. Once you have a general outline of your garden layout you can begin refining it by writing down the materials you'll need. From there it's just a matter of clearing out your garden and rearranging it to the plan that you've made.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your garden makeover.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EleventhCoastal
Making a Splash

Hi Triet,

What an absolutely wicked clean slate you have to play with. I must admit I agree with EricL in the idea of fake grass, pavers and rocks.. you could create areas that are linked with stepping stone pavers as well and still have a low maintenance garden to bring depth and variety to this space.
I personally think mulching a space this big would be a little harsh on the eye and would allow the weeds to run crazy on you again.
I hope you’ll share what you decide to do with us.

Cheers
Kirsty

Kirsty P
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @trietnguyen,

Hope you've been well. Just wanted to drop in a note to check how your backyard is doing. Did you manage to implement any of the ideas discussed above? 

We'd love to see any updates or photos of your backyard. And as always, happy to help if you need any further assistance.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects