Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Moving Rosemary

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Moving Rosemary

Rosemary_in_bloom.JPG

Our Rosemary bush has been great but we have plans for the garden bed its currently in so it has to go. I assume we can't just transplant it?

I'm happy to just take some cuttings and start them in pots. Has anyone got any tips?

And do you think we can do it now? We can't really wait until Spring....

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: Moving Rosemary

Definately try propigating from a few cuttings. It's pretty easy and anytime except winter should be fine. You'll want a cutting of at least 10cm and strip off the bottom leaves. Put into a small pot with some potting mix. Make a little hole with your finger before you pop the cutting in. Put the pot somewhere reasonably sunny but not in harsh direct sun, and water regularly for the first few weeks. 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Thanks. I've taken half a dozen cuttings and put them in a few different pots, and also one in a garden bed. Will hopefully get one to take off!

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

I have propogated rosemary a few times - it's super easy!

I cut a few sprigs off that were new and soft (not the woody stems) and then left in a shallow glass of water for a few weeks. I also added a few drops of plant rooting solution (available from nurseries) to help the process along.

The sprig will grow roots in the water :smile: I then planted the sprigs in a small pot and that was it!

Rosemary is really hardy, so it should transplant with no issues. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Kermit

How did you go in the end?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Sorry, missed your reply! 

Here's a very overdue update. All good! Successful transplant into the pot. The ones into the garden bed didn't survive, so I think taking multiple cuttings was the idea. 

Rosemary.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects