Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My Jasmine leaves have holes and brown spots

Angelsword
Finding My Feet

My Jasmine leaves have holes and brown spots

0E34E013-CC4C-48A3-85B9-4B9E0A76BF32.jpegFAA52AFB-253F-4BE7-8518-E98CD3F51360.jpeg08391F2E-BA09-4540-B784-29CE7AB3384B.jpeg

I am a very new gardener, just starting out. I got these three jasmine plants about three months ago and as you can see both the pandora and the climbing beauty have holes and brown spots.For some reason the Chinese star is fine and flowering but not sending out climbing branches. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: My Jasmine leaves have holes and brown spots

Hello @Angelsword

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop Community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to treat your Jasmine plant.

Thank you for posting photos of your Jasmine plants. Looking at the holes on your leaves they look like caterpillar eating patterns. Mind you there are a number of insects and grubs that eat the same way. It would be reasonable to conclude that it is not a disease as they display a different type of symptom. 

I suggest using a Nylex 1L Manual Garden Sprayer and a combination of soapy water. I recommend a formula of 5 tablespoons of Glitz Dishwashing Liquid - 2L or equivalent to 3.8 litres of water. Spray the plant from top to bottom and under the leaves for five to seven days.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Jasmine plant recovered and healthy.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi

Thank you, I’ll give it a try.

angela

Hi @Angelsword,

@EricL's advice of using a soapy water spray should work quite well for various insects commonly found on ornamentals. You might like to try something a bit stronger for caterpillars like Yates 750ml Ready To Use Pyrethrum Insecticide. You have some quite defined chew marks on the leaves, but I'm not sure what is causing the brown spots.

Let me mention @Adam_W and @Noelle to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

Thanks

Keep us updated with how you go @Angelsword. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects