Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Name the plant

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Name the plant

nametheplant1.jpgHi everyone, 

Workshop member @tetris36 has suggested a new game - name that plant.

He's also supplied the first photo for the game. Can you name this plant? 

Feel free to also post your pictures in the discussion below for the community to try to identify - whether you know its name or not!.

Good luck,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Name the plant

LOL  Thanks GreyGardener

Just great timing...   I was given some seeds last week to prepare for planting..  they are now in fridge being kept cold for 3 months before planting.

BUT  I had to go back and find the vid I downloaded to get the name which i forgot.   knew it wasnt Camelia but that was stuck in my mind for --- what reason I dont know -    So now I have put the Name Magnolia on the plastic container with the seeds....

It was fun hunting down the name,  feeling stupid the whole time...

Thanks that was a great exercise in getting my brain to work :smile:

Purple Kohlrabi

@AZsandy125

Thanks for joining in the discussion. And many thanks for joining the community. It's great to have you join us. Obviously you have plenty of gardening knowledge to share with other members. I hope you also find plenty of helpful information for your own projects.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

bergs
Making a Splash

Re: What's this plant?

Hi All,

Here's another poser for anyone to have a go at.

I have had this plant self seed in my garden and I thought it came from my compost.

It looks similar to an apple cucumber of sorts, but the only cucumbers I plant are the normal, round white/yellow apple or the Lebanese variety.

It's much like a mini watermelon.

The vine is trailing all over the garden bed, and the fruit is oval, and about 10 cms long.

I checked with Plantsnap and they came back with Melothria scabra, which are Mexican sour gherkins (cucamelon) and they only grow to grape size, so that's not them. I was hoping some of the members may know what they are or maybe grown them before.

Closest thing on Google I can find is maybe Richmond Green Apple Cucumber. I've never grown that variety and it is an heirloom plant.

Below is the vine and fruit that I have grown, it only has the one fruit on the vine.

IMG_20180308_173727.jpg

The other thing I thought of, was that it grew right beside one of the chillies I planted, from a nursery supplier in Rupanyup, so the seed may have been in the mix.

Below is the Richmond Green Apple Cucumber

Image result
Very similar to mine, but not as oval and without the same colouring. I don't want to try it when it's ripe if it turns out to be toxic:shocked:
I hope someone has had some experience with this plant.

Cheers @bergs
Be happy and care for your tools
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bergs,

Just wanted to let you know that I've moved your post to this discussion so it's more visible to other Workshop members. Hopefully someone in the community will be able to help solve your mystery. Perhaps one of our keen gardeners like @greygardener@QuailFlock@Adam_W or @CathM.

Thanks,

Jason

Hmm... looks like an Apple Cucumber to me.
But it's still a bay so it may change its look. Wait for it to mature more.
Eat it when someone is in the house, take a leave or another fruit as sample. Ask the family to call ambulance when your lips turn blue and take the leave/fruit with you to the hospital LOL
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@robchin

Do you know what this plant is that @bergs has shared? Is it an apple cucumber as @QuailFlock has suggested?

Jason

bergs
Making a Splash

Hi @QuailFlock, I was wondering whether it would be a mini water melon.
My daughter has grown them before and she says it could be, but son in law says cucumber.
Apple cucumbers I've grown before, have had different texture and larger leaves, but these seem to be a bit smaller.
There is only one fruit on it, so I don't want to lose it before it matures enough to cut open, for the seeds and hopefully find out what it is.
It has been flowering profusely without any more female flowers forming.
I cut the leaders off, and all the side shoots went mad, it has taken up all the bed and the next one. If you stood it up, it would have vines up to, and over 2mts high.
At this stage it's growth doesn't look like slowing down.
Be happy and care for your tools

Watermelon usually does not have the groove lines... but there are so many varieties of watermelons, it's all a guessing game :unhappy:
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi. Certainly in the Cucurbit family which includes cucumbers and watermelons. Many of them do look the same from the outside. I thought it might be an apple cucumber of some sort. The heirloom one you mentioned - Richmond Green Apple - is probably a good bet. Most members of this family will readily self-seed.

Probably only way to be sure  is to cut it open and see. if it's white it'll be a cucumber if it's yellow or red it'll be a watermelon. Either way - nothing ventured nothing gained.

I think if you have other flowers you'll get more fruit. Just keep the water up to it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects