Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Name the plant

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Name the plant

nametheplant1.jpgHi everyone, 

Workshop member @tetris36 has suggested a new game - name that plant.

He's also supplied the first photo for the game. Can you name this plant? 

Feel free to also post your pictures in the discussion below for the community to try to identify - whether you know its name or not!.

Good luck,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What's this plant?

Thanks for that info @robchin, I didn't give it athought about inside colour. The trouble is there is only one fruit and I don't want to pick it until it's completly ripe.

I can't remember whether it was already in the bed when I planted the chillies or self seeded after.

I think it was in the bed because I thought, leave it and see what it is.

It just grew, and kept growing and it flowered and I couldn't see any fruit, until my wife found one, and that was, and still is, the only one.

My daughter said she had some mini watermelon and kept seed and planted in the school vege patch, and she said it looks very much the same except its a lot smaller.

In the photo the fruit is just in front of the chillie tag.

IMG_20180313_173255.jpg

I don't know if you can zoom in or not, the fruit is at 2 minutes ti 12 from the plant tag. Hope that helps.

Any replies welcome.

Cheers bergs:bigsmile:

PS. I picked the fruit and found that the slaters had eaten it away from underneath, and it was starting to rot.

It was definitely a cucumber by the colour and the shape of the seeds. 

All good now that I know what it was. Thanks for all the replies they were all very useful.

It is now in the compost, so next season it may come up again, with many more plants.

Be happy and care for your tools
aly
Making a Splash

I was recently given this cute little plant but I have no clue what it is, where to place it and how to care for it? Would love some assistance :smile:

plant.jpg

Shane
Having an Impact

Definitely a succulent @aly so don't water it too much. And should be happy inside for a while along as its reasonably light. 

Hopefully someone else can tell you what the actual variety is.

aly
Making a Splash

Thanks @Shane. Do you know whether succulents go well in the bathroom? I've placed it there for the time being as the lighting is good and figured any moisture from the shower would mean less watering, thoughts?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

We have succulents in our bathroom and they do well @aly.

Good luck in identifying your plant.

Let me tag @robchin for you as he has fantastic knowledge of plants. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

No pressure there Jason :).

Succulents are not my strongest suit but I suspect it's some sort of Sedum possibly Sedum  pachyphyllum - related to the Jelly bean plant.

Most succulents do well in bathrooms but as others have said - don't water them too much. They come from the deserts mostly so the water in the air will normally do most of the work.

aly
Making a Splash

Wow thanks for the info @robchin! Sounds like its staying in the bathroom then - will be nice and low maintainence :smile:

Sorry to be so late to the party on this one, been crazy-busy with the Flower & Garden Show last week in Melbourne...
I'm going to put my money on it being a melon, Cucumis sp.
I say that mainly because of the texture. Virtually every cucumber has spines of some sort or another & that looks very smooth.

Thanks @QuailFlock, will be sure to keep an eye out for some pretty pink flowers later in the year!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects