Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Name the plant

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Name the plant

nametheplant1.jpgHi everyone, 

Workshop member @tetris36 has suggested a new game - name that plant.

He's also supplied the first photo for the game. Can you name this plant? 

Feel free to also post your pictures in the discussion below for the community to try to identify - whether you know its name or not!.

Good luck,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AHoy
Having an Impact

Re: What's this plant?

Anyone know what this is? 

They are growing next door and starting to pop up on our side of the fence too all over the place. Assume it is a weed and we should encourage the neighbours to get rid of it...

Weed.jpg

AHoy
Having an Impact

Even more worried now. I saw this yesterday when walking by a creek. It's actually a tree. Anyone know what it is?

weedtree.jpg

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi AHoy. Not sure if anybody has answered this yet but if not - be Cautious. It is a Castor Oil plant. Ricinus communis. Declared noxious in most parts of Australia. Apart from being very weedy it is also quite poisonous. I won't give too much informaiton on that but if you Google it you'll see why it's an issue.
Me - I'd be mentionin this to neighbour. They spread really quickly once they start flowering.
Good luck.
AHoy
Having an Impact

Wow, that is a lot worse than I imagined @robchin. I will definitely talk to my neighbour ASAP. I remember Ricin from Breaking Bad!

Thank you so much for your help.

Tony

AHoy
Having an Impact

Thanks again for your help @robchin. We've pulled out all the plants we could and poisoned the roots of those that we couldn't completely yank out and just had to cut off at ground level. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects