Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Narrow rear deck needing revamp

marypryde
Finding My Feet

Narrow rear deck needing revamp

IMG_6728.JPG

We have a small timber deck which is also a pathway from home (dining room and back door) to garage.  

We have hanging baskets and a lovely fern on the fence wall.  

Lots of varying size pots with a variety of plants which we have moved around to see where they grow better.    Because the pot plants have not been raised, the deck is now starting to rot.  We don't want to replace deck.  

Husband is 83 but still a great handyman.....   He would like to build a raised wooden planter box.

I would prefer the look of the corrugated iron.....but he would prefer to build the planter box himself.

We realise we might need to put new plants into some of the pots, and also the hanging baskets.

Unfortunately, the area is looking very bedraggled and needing a revamp.

The area actually gets quite a bit of sun - early morning - and late afternoon.  We have a sprinkler system which is controlled by seasons (manually adjusted).IMG_6728.JPG

marypryde
Finding My Feet

Re: Narrow rear deck needing revamp

Not sure why all images were not uploaded.....trying again.

Would really appreciate advice to make this area look more streamlined, tidy and great plants

Some more wider photos of the whole area would indeed be helpful so that members can better see what you are working with @marypryde. Please let me know if you need a hand uploading more. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.  We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

9A62449F-6F49-492C-A011-6AC857EEC57F.jpeg

77080651-EBC5-4184-AEE9-536CDF018ADE.jpeg

2356CC8E-B876-41A6-9267-41CC43C45DC4.jpeg

B4EC44CF-58B7-4992-AF01-6A7619DF371C.jpeg

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @marypryde.

I apologise for the delay in my reply.

Have you considered cladding the exterior of the raised planter with corrugated iron? Perhaps corrugated iron could be included in the design your husband would like to build.

I trust these discussions will be of inspiration: Raised garden bed by @moshiach77 and Garden bed front fence by @timjeffries. Here's a list of our top 10 most popular raised garden beds which would also be worth viewing.

You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to build a raised garden bed by @Adam_W.

I would suggest using additional wall planters to move the hanging pots closer to the fence. That would certainly open up the space making the area appear uncluttered.

We look forward to assisting with your project and can't wait to hear what planter design you'll be selecting.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects