Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Native Plant Varieties & Nurseries

jakecapuano
Finding My Feet

Native Plant Varieties & Nurseries

Hi workshop gang,

I am looking at replacing a lot of my current plants (bird of paradise, kentia palm, devils ivy, etc) with native Australian plants.

Would love your suggestions for native plants that would work well in a pot (unfortunately I can't plant anything in the earth) as well as recommendations for native plant suppliers in Melbourne.

Thanks all!

Jake

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Native Plant Varieties & Nurseries

Hi @jakecapuano,

Welcome to Workshop. Great to see you make your first post. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand with a project around the house or garden as we have helpful members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day. 

Let me tag the wonderful @Noelle who might like to kick off the discussion and have some plant recommendations for you. You might also like to tell us what kind of conditions the potted plants will be in. For example, are they on a covered deck or patio, or out in the sun all day?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jakecapuano
Finding My Feet

Thanks @Jason -  nice to meet you @Noelle.

They are out in the sun all day, but I am able to bring them inside quite easily, if they need a break from time-to-time.  Pending the weight of the pot of course.

I love how some furniture display stores have - what appears to be a gum tree variety - but I'm not sure how appropriate they would be for pots.

Hi @jakecapuano 

While most native plants will grow much better when planted into the garden, there are some that are quite spectacular as potted plants, like the dwarf or ground cover version of Bankia Birthday Candles and even the stunning Sturt's Desert pea (Swainsona formosa).  These are but two of quite a range.

Gum trees (Corymbia and Eucalyptus species and varieties) are not really suited to pot growing because most develop quite extensive root systems -they generally don't thrive unless planted out in the garden.

To see what is available and talk to the experts, I suggest you visit Kuranga Native Nursery, York Road, Mt Evelyn.  It's really worth the trip because this nursery has an outstanding reputation, qualified horticulturists onsite and the best range of native plants for both garden and pot growing in Melbourne's climate.

Brilliant suggestions @Noelle, thank-you for taking the time to provide those suggestions - I think a trip to Kuranga Native Nursey is in order!

Thanks for connecting us @Jason.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects