Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need advice for replacing dead lawn

tamai
Finding My Feet

Need advice for replacing dead lawn

I have a big frontyard and backyard that have not been taking care of for a long time. The lawn is dead and would like to replace it something that requires low maintenance. Would it be a good idea to replace it with Mulch? 

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 6.37.54 PM (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 6.37.54 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 6.37.54 PM.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Needs advice for replace dead lawn

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tamai. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

You might like to have a look at these helpful guides: 10 great alternatives to a grass lawn and 11 ground covers for your garden. Mulch would certainly be an option, or you could create a rockery. Garden edging will be ideal for containing any coverings within the desired areas, and we have a fantastic range to select from. Have you considered synthetic grass? The premium varieties look very realistic and require no maintenance.

I'd suggest starting by removing all the existing dead grass and giving the area a good raking over so you know what you're working with. You can then start the planning process. You should find these guides useful: How to plan a garden makeover and How to give your garden a makeover by @Adam_W. The Gardena garden planner might also be useful for laying out your ideas.

Depending on how large the areas are, it would be worth considering whether a bulk delivery of mulch or pebbles would be your best option.

I look forward to seeing the areas once they are cleaned up and providing further advice as your project progresses. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tamai
Finding My Feet

Re: Need advice for replacing dead lawn

Thank you Mitchell for your reply and all those tips. I will start with cleaning the area as you suggested.

AshJ
Getting Established

I’m in a similar situation - wanting to remove unhealthy grass and replace (likely with synthetic). Any advice on the best way to remove the grass? I have a much larger area.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AshJ. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions about removing grass.

If you are going to use synthetic grass, I'd suggest you set your lawnmower to the lowest possible setting and scalp the lawn. Once this is done, you can either kill the grass with a non-selective herbicide or lay weed matting over it. I can't see any reason why you would have to remove it. You can then add and compact a layer of sand on top of the old grass before rolling out the synthetic grass.

How should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to lay synthetic turf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

AshJ
Getting Established

Thanks, 

If I decided to pave instead... I am assuming I would need to remove the grass and level/compact first as it is joining onto an existing paved area and would need to be a flat transition between the two areas? Should I still kill the grass first or just dig it up? Any advice on how to approach this?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@AshJ,

How much you need to lower the ground to have a flat transition will determine whether you need to remove the grass and soil or not. If the grass is currently at the same level as the pavers, you will need to remove it. 

How big is this area, and how much soil would need to be removed to establish a flat transition? If you are looking at taking 10cm off a large area, it might be worth having someone come in with a mini excavator and skim the layer off. Alternatively, a sharp shovel would likely be the best option. There is no need to kill the grass first before removing it.

You might like to post some images so our helpful members have a better idea of what you're working with.

Mitchell

AshJ
Getting Established

Thanks for that. Grass is level so will need to remove. I have very narrow access (under a metre) to the backyard so hiring someone is probably not ideal as getting an excavator down there will be tricky. I might see how we go digging it up - I can then work in small sections and don't have to dig up/pave the whole yard at once 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects