Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need advice for replacing dead lawn

tamai
New Contributor

Need advice for replacing dead lawn

I have a big frontyard and backyard that have not been taking care of for a long time. The lawn is dead and would like to replace it something that requires low maintenance. Would it be a good idea to replace it with Mulch? 

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 6.37.54 PM (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 6.37.54 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 6.37.54 PM.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Needs advice for replace dead lawn

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tamai. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

You might like to have a look at these helpful guides: 10 great alternatives to a grass lawn and 11 ground covers for your garden. Mulch would certainly be an option, or you could create a rockery. Garden edging will be ideal for containing any coverings within the desired areas, and we have a fantastic range to select from. Have you considered synthetic grass? The premium varieties look very realistic and require no maintenance.

I'd suggest starting by removing all the existing dead grass and giving the area a good raking over so you know what you're working with. You can then start the planning process. You should find these guides useful: How to plan a garden makeover and How to give your garden a makeover by @Adam_W. The Gardena garden planner might also be useful for laying out your ideas.

Depending on how large the areas are, it would be worth considering whether a bulk delivery of mulch or pebbles would be your best option.

I look forward to seeing the areas once they are cleaned up and providing further advice as your project progresses. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tamai
New Contributor

Re: Need advice for replacing dead lawn

Thank you Mitchell for your reply and all those tips. I will start with cleaning the area as you suggested.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects