Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need help with identifying what type of maple tree

PN
Having an Impact

Need help with identifying what type of maple tree

After some help with identifying what type of maple trees are these. These trees are in our front and back yard. Interested to understand whether they are Japanese maple or some other type and whether they can cause issues with roots near the foundation/

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

ParthaBack Yard MapleBack Yard MapleFront Yard MapleFront Yard Maple

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: Need help with identifying what type of maple tree

Hi @PN . Plant ID is not my strong point but I don't think that's a maple. Can you post a clear close-up picture of the foliage and the flowers and I'll confirm. 

PN
Having an Impact

Hi @robchin Rob

Many thanks . Wow didnt think it wasnt a maple. Now more interested to know. Here is a photo of the foilage and also the tree in summer. foilage.jpgPicture1.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PN

Thank you for sharing your question about trying to identify what type of maple tree you have.

Looking at the photo you posted, it looks like a Rose Myrtle due to the five-petal flowers growing on its branch. But I've never seen Rose Myrtle with such a large trunk. It must be very old to get that big. 

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle to see if they can identify this tree. 

Please keep us updated, we look forward to knowing what kind of tree it is.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PN
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL 

Thank you so much. Wow Rose Myrtle possibly - I must admit I am not at all familiar with a Rose Myrtle. I would love to know from @Adam_W and @Noelle on what species this tree is. We have this tree on both sides of our front yard and both are similar size very big with a very large trunk. The house was built in 2005 so presumably the trees were planted after that.

Many Thanks

Partha

PN
Having an Impact

I have been also advised that it is a Pyrus. The photos below for the Pyrus looks very like what we have! A pear tree - didnt expect that. Open to expert opinions on whether this assessment is correct.

I am also interested to understand whether it is a bradford pear or a manchurian pear or some other type of ornamental pear.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/pyrus-calleryana-bradford.html

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Sorry @EricL missed this. 

Yes I agree with @PN - most likely an ornamental pear. Possibly Bradford, a Capital or even a Chanticleer. Not a maple. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects