Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New raised vegetable patch

srikanth_ch
Finding My Feet

New raised vegetable patch

Used sienna sleepers which are arsenic-free ( 6mtr X 1mtr) better for Veg patch. cost me 270$ including delivery.

VEG PATCHVEG PATCH

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: New raised vegetable patch

Looks fantastic @srikanth_ch. Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing your vegies flourishing in that wonderful space very soon!

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're rapt you could join us and look forward to seeing more of your projects and reading all about your home improvement plans. It looks like you have some great skills and knowledge to share, so feel free to join in all the discussions across the site, and post whenever you need a hand with anything. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Oopsee
Getting Established

They look solid! Do let us know what kind of soil mix you use in them and how you intend to water them, manually or otherwise. Do they get any shade? 

Lucille
Cultivating a Following

Are you going to waterproof the walls? My friend didn't do it and after 5 years the timber started to bend and break. I heard corflute is good enough. Cost 10 bucks per sheet 2250x1200mm. Secure with clout nails. At the bottom is good to use geotextile fabric to hold the soil in place.

Yep planning to water proofing.. Thanks for suggestion..

HI Lucille,

I have a similar veggie patch. I was under the impression it would withstand the weather. What's corflute?

Will staining help?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @pats6182,

Step 22 of this guide How to build a raised garden bed might be worth a look. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lucille
Cultivating a Following

Corflute is that double layered sheet of plastic. It's quite cheap. See photo. Also, landscapers told me they apply timber decking oil. Right now the Bunnings has one on sale for $50 that can cover about 12m2. It's all about sealing the timber. And Sienna sleepers are the best for raised planters.11512-2T (1).jpg

Hi Jason and Lucille,

Thanks heaps.
Good I did not fill the beds with soil. Thought it was treated timber. Anyway will let it dry out in summer and stain it with timber oil.

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects