Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

One Camelia is turning red, is this ok?

curo123
Growing in Experience

One Camelia is turning red, is this ok?

As you can see from the photos, the one beside the red one is still green. Is this tree ok?
I hope you can help.
Kind RegardsIMG_8608.JPG

IMG_8609.JPG

IMG_8610.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: One Camelia is turning red, is this ok?

Hi @curo123,

Let me tag a few experts in @Noelle@BradN and @EricL for their thoughts on the health of your camelia.

You might also find this Bunnings guide helpful - Growing, pruning and caring for camelias

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @curo123 

It's a little unusual that of two camellias in close proximity, one has remained green while the other has developed a distinct reddish bronze colour on its leaves. The difference could be in the varieties themselves - are they both the same?  If you could give us the names of both and where you live, we may be in a better position to be able to assist.

Some camellia varieties are more tolerant of wide ranging weather conditions (such as frost, rainfall and even sun exposure) than others, so determining what they are can be helpful.

Frost or cold winds in particular may cause the leaf colour to change but I'll wait until I have more info before attempting an accurate diagnosis.

curo123
Growing in Experience

@Noelle 

Hello,

The name of the camellia's are: Camellia sasanqua ‘Paradise Blush’. We live in Castle Hill 2154.

I hope you can help.

Regards

Nataly

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @curo123 Nataly

Although the two plants are in close proximity, and are both the same variety, it is possible the change in foliage colour is due to frost or exposure to cold.  Camellia sasanqua Paradise Blush is one of the many beautiful camellias from Paradise Plants, a grower and originator of camellias in NSW.

On its website, Paradise Plants says of sasanquas: "In cold, frosty, open areas the foliage discolours and looks quite ill. But with the return of warm weather the plants happily grow on again."

It is quite likely this is the cause of the appearance of your plant. Wait until spring to see if it reverts to glossy dark green again.  An application of a specially formulated camellia food in mid to late August may also be beneficial.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing your experience once again @Noelle. Love your work. 

Please let us know if you need any further assistance @curo123

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
curo123
Growing in Experience

Thank you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects