Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Planted some succulents, to add character to the kitchen.

evank
Cultivating a Following

Planted some succulents, to add character to the kitchen.

Found this swan potpourri dish, and planted succulents in it.  Really happy with how it turned out.  :smile:IMG_0757.JPG

Mon_16
Getting Established

Re: Planted some succulents, to add character to the kitchen.

Looking good. What else do you have to do to keep it alive? Do you use special potting mix?

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

Love what you have done with the succulents.

I had some succulents in a terrarium and placed them in the kitchen near the window, but unfortunatly couldn't keep them alive.

Do you need to water them often or keep them in a certain light? I found them quite tricky to maintain, so any tips would be great. I want to try and set them up again. 

evank
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Kaylah!  I have so many healthy succulents around the house, that I literally snapped a branch off another plant, and placed it in this new vase.  

I only water these 1 every fortnight to three weeks.  

I found that watering them any more than that can drown them, so less is more.  

The sunlight is really good for them, so the more the better.  

As long as the roots of the succulents have room to expand, the soil isn't too wet (so that that the roots are not constantly saturated) and they get good sunlight, they should flourish.  Even if they look unhealthy, you can bring them back by taking them out of the soil and just putting them in a glass of water, like a flower (for a few days), by the sunlight.  Then when they start to look healthy again, put them back in the soil.  Some succuents can attack the roots of neightbouring succulents of a different type, so I would check with a florist on which ones can be planted together, and which should be planted alone.

I hope your next ones turn out perfect.  Talk soon

Thanks for your tips @evank.

I am keen to set up some succlents so will defintely give it a try again. With your helpful advice I hopefully will be able to keep them alive this time! Especially the tip on which succulents are okay to plant next to each other. Had no idea they can attack roots, so this is very handy. 

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. 

Suja
Cultivating a Following

Hi @evank,

This looks so beautiful! I've been meaning to try my hand at succulents.

Do you need to use a specific type of potting mix? And do you need to drill holes in the pot / dish to allow for drainage?

Cheers,
Suja

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects