Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plants that are not poisonous to cats

trayzee67
Building a Reputation

Plants that are not poisonous to cats

HI all I hope you can assist, for quite a few years I have resisted  starting a  garden  as I am concerned about which basic plants are  poisionous to animals.. espically cats.  I have looked at various sites and RSPCA.. and local nursery cant give me a yes or no as they dont know. Very Frustrating!!.  I usually put plants in  pots,  as i seems to kill them with kindness.

And id like to build a hedge fence as I simply cant afford a new fence.

Id like to plant sucullents, 1st if possible as  land is so bare and dry  and then build apon that , I also want to create shade for my 3 cats too , but I am NOT a garden person as  I cant  maintain a Acre  and a half of land by myself!!     Any suggestions idea would  be  greatly and dearly appreciated. I would never forgive myself if i planted something and it harmed them . I live alone  and low maintence is key.   Many Thanks To all.                                                                                                                                                     Trayzee.

tj67
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: PLANTS , SHURUBS , TREES , that are not POISIONOUS to CATS.

@trayzee67

You don't need to worry about your cats. Very few plants are toxic to them, and they will typically leave them alone anyway. 

But RSPCA Victoria do have a list that you might like to consult just for peace of mind - http://www.rspcavic.org/cats-toxic-plants

And here's some hedging suggestions - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Garden/Hedging-plant-suggestions-please/m-p/12511

Have you thought about a camelia for a front hedge? Once they get going they are very easy to look after. 

Many Thanks !! Re: PLANTS , SHURUBS , TREES , that are not POISIONOUS to CATS.

Hi @greygardener. Many Many thanks for your insight and knowlege, it is much appreciated.   I actually have thought about a front hedge, but i really need something to block the fence that is falling down between my neighbour and I. I would have paided for a basic fence , with some type of mesh.. basically to  keep neighbours dogs out. and to look decent.I did approach my neighbour who ive had for many years and is a lovely lady.. but she cant go halves ( $ 750.00 ) .  and i really dont want to do the whole mediation thing, as i actually LIKE and NEED my neighbours.  So I shall prevail and Yes I have looked at the RSPCA site (for QLD )  too.  Many Thanks again  @greygardener you have restored my faith.!!! Thank you again @greygardener.  Bye. @ trayzee67.

tj67
AHoy
Having an Impact

@trayzee67

Are you able to post a photo of your fence? We might be able to help suggest ways to extend its life and keep the neighbourhood dogs out. Eg some chicken wire across the bottom?

Re: Many Thanks !! Re: PLANTS , SHURUBS , TREES , that are not POISIONOUS to C

No problem @trayzee67. Perhaps just get something bushy that is very fast growing then. Pittosporum?

trayzee67
Building a Reputation

Hi Ahoy, Thanks  for your idea. yes i shall post a pic of the new fence i hired men to make.  Would love to hide neighbours area. shall post with in a few days. ( im still recovering from helping the men make it!!  too many bruises and cuts at moment.  thanks again Ahoy.     

I may need some plant advice as i bought a hardy plant but it did not have name of plant.  Talk soon.  AHOY.

tj67
trayzee67
Building a Reputation

Hi all

Here are the fence Pictures You requested, and I also have posted some piics of Plants , that i have no idea what they are called? Bunnings no help and local nursery were the same . Ive never heard off "Pittosporum just wondering if they would grow on the darling downs and we seem to have blacksoil. : (
tj67
trayzee67
Building a Reputation

HI Ahoy  please find pics of Fence (redone) and  some plants i have no idea what they are called, hoping someone could identify them for me. Have tried Bunnings, local nursery, even plant books. if anyone can help , would be gretly appreciated.   Was wondering  also as I have never heard of PITTOSPORUM which you mentioned  im wondering if they will grow in the darling downs and  where we are we have black soil : (.   Any help  suggestions from  others  greatley appreciated.   Will have to buy plant in tubing stages, due to amount of ???s spent Just on 3 basic items.  THanks all. Fence in front of home 1Fence in front of home 1Fence in front of home 2.Fence in front of home 2.New  Fence at back of yard. runs a straight line 25 metres.New Fence at back of yard. runs a straight line 25 metres.New Fence Pic 2.New Fence Pic 2.??? Name.??? Name.???Name.???Name.Name???Name???Name???Name???Name???Name???Name??Name??

tj67

I would be surprised if pittosporum didn't do well - they seem to thrive anywhere. 

This might help you - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/garden/planting-and-growing/10-fast-growing-plants-for-privac...

Grey Gardener:: THank you. Re: PLANTS , SHURUBS , TREES , that are not POISIONOUS to CATS.

HI Grey Gardener , 

Many thanks for your reply.. yes I have looked at these on Bunnings Page too. I shall be having a good look at  some of these in the next week.  Thanks for your help.

tj67

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects