Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Please help identifying grass type

nimit1785
Finding My Feet

Please help identifying grass type

is this grass or weed that I need to pull out? Recently moved to new house and has lawn. I am new to lawns. 
it’s invading around grassed areas as well. Growing upwards almost quarter feet in 2 weeks. 

thank you

IMG_1676.jpeg

IMG_1671.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: please help identifying grass type

Hi @nimit1785,

If the whole lawn is thinner-bladed grass, these appear to be isolated patches of Buffalo grass. Buffalo can be identified by its broad leaf and aggressive tendency to spread using runners. You've pulled one of the runners out in the last image. Although Buffalo is a common lawn type due to its robust nature, you could consider it a weed if it's the odd one in your lawn. Removing it before it spreads further into your lawn would be best. No spray will kill the Buffalo and not the rest of the lawn, so if these are isolated patches, it might be best to remove them by hand. You must be careful to remove the full runners and plant, as any remnants left with attached roots will regenerate; although it was an early 90s box-office smash hit and critically acclaimed masterpiece, we certainly don't want a repeat of Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

Another removal method would be to wait until it grows above the rest and use a Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush to paint the tips of the blades with weed killer. This will draw the poison down into the plant, killing it at the base.

Use appropriate PPE when mixing and applying your weedkiller, including a face mask, gloves and safety glasses.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
terrywang
Building a Reputation

Re: Please help identifying grass type

Use PictureThis app (iOS and Android), it is the best app I've ever used to identify plants.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects