Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Privacy screening

katita
Growing in Experience

Privacy screening

20191123_114153.jpg

Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice for some fast screening to block out the neighbour's kitchen window and an ugly fence.(please see photos)

Apologies in advance for the essay! :smile:

The initial area we need screened would be approx 2m × 2m & the garden bed 770 x 85cm. Ultimately we'd like to screen the whole fence but happy with just blocking the area in front of the window first. Our elderly male neighbour tends to want to see what I'm doing every time I am in the yard which is wearing thin and we also have direct line of sight from our kitchen window to his. (That green shadecloth is on his side of the fence).

We have considered (smaller)Lilly Pilly's or Murraya for a narrow hedge or putting in a Hardenbergia climber with trellises/plant supports in the middle of the bed (as the fence isn't high enough and also very long in the tooth but we cant afford to replace the fence right now) and also to allow easier management or pruning of the climber. The area we want screened asap is ground level for about 1.5m then there's a slightly raised bed along the remainder of the fence.

The fence runs North - South and the plants would be facing East so would get some morning and midday sun. The entertaining area roof means the bed is partly shaded for some of the day, more in winter(?) We are near Newcastle in NSW.

(We've only been here a year and the previous owners left all those pots in the photos.)

Thankyou for reading this far :smile:

20191123_114138.jpg

20191123_114225.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Privacy screening

Welcome to the Workshop community @Joey_75.

Thanks for jumping straight into the discussion and I'm sure @katita appreciates your advice. We look forward to seeing what projects you have going on around your own home and garden. If you ever need advice or have something to share with the community, please let us know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects