Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Propagating ground cover plants

yng7
Cultivating a Following

Propagating ground cover plants

88B14751-44B3-4806-801D-62B20B499A8D.jpeg45B36ED9-9492-4D21-B6E3-81978245D5D0.jpeg

Ground Cover Plants

We have these plants on the west side of the building but I don’t know what they are and whether these can be propagated to grow on the north side garden beds.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Propagating Ground Cover Plants

An expert says it's easy...

http://gardenerscott.blogspot.com/2011/09/propagating-groundcovers.html

I have the verge to plant out in my spare time? One of the joys of living on a corner is the long side strip of weed gathering wasteland. I have a feeling for me once I start it is more like a 5 year project given the size of the area to do rather than his 2 years.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see you join in the discussion and make your first post @yng7. Welcome to the Workshop community. I trust you will get lots of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects around the house and garden from our community members. 

Let me tag some of our resident horticulturalists for you, including @Adam_W@DonnaE and @Noelle

You might also find these previous discussions about various ground cover solutions helpful:

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Propagating is always worth a try to cover a larger area in a shorter amount of time, and saving money from having to buy new plants. 

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @yng7

Welcome to Workshop! First photo (with stripy leaves) the plants on the left are ribbon or spider grass. Very easy to grow, in-fact can go weedy so just watch that. You can either lift and divide large clumps or you’ll find it produces small plants on the end of long stems. These can be cut off and planted once they have started putting out roots (you’ll see them quite clearly).
The one on the right appears to be a succulent, possibly a Crassula of some sort. Just cut off some stems around 5cm long & stick them in some potting mix in a warm spot & they’ll start growing in no time. You may even find some have roots from their stems, in which case try to take some bits with roots as they’ll establish faster.

The second picture I’m pretty sure is a Plectranthus, probably ‘Swedish Ivy’ (Plectranthus verticillatus). Again, pretty easy to propogate. You could take some cuttings around 5 to 10cm long & stick them in a glass of water (with a few drops of honey mixed in) and place this on a warm windowsill. You’ll likley see roots forming in around 10 days. Otherwise just dip the end of cuttings into propogating gel & put into pots of propogating mix and keep moist. Avoid any tips that look like they are about to flower.

You may also find some stems on the plant are developing roots. These can be cut off and transplanted straight away. You can bury a little bit of the stem under the soil if needs be.
Okay! Hope that helps :bigsmile:

yng7
Cultivating a Following

Thanks, Jason.

yng7
Cultivating a Following

Thanks, Adam. Great wealth of knowledge there.

So, without the propagating mix, the cutting will not grow? I can’t just stick them into the ground/soil?

yng7
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the blog link, Brad.

Ours will be a long term project seeing that I don’t have a green thumb and am not willing to spend too much money on the garden.

Propigating mix is better at holding moisture, which helps stimulate seed germination and root development. It's also typically light and airy, so seeds and cuttings don’t rot and roots can grow and breathe easily. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects