Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pruning an Australian Native Orchid

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Pruning an Australian Native Orchid

Hi Gang!

I have an Australian Native Orchid that was given to me by the local council when I got my Australian Citizenship way back in 2004

Australian Native Orchids

It's been in my ex's backyard and I discovered how neglected it was.  I had him drop it off this morning as I'd like to give a good prune but have no idea where to begin.  

Current stateCurrent state

Please help this poor plant  :smile:

Thanks

Dee 

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Pruning an Australian Native Orchid

Thanks @Jason   I figured the plant cant be in that bad of shape if it flowered, so want to look after it.  

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Deanna

The plant's looking great! Leave it in peace until it has completely finished flowering (probably mid Spring), then cut off the old flower spikes and repot as per @Adam_W's instructions earlier in the year.

Rock Orchids like growing in large clumps and often perform much better when left undisturbed for many years, even when they appear to be overflowing out of their pots. Like Adam I prefer terracotta posts or even old hollow Mallee roots! An orchid bark is preferable to an orchid potting mix - it's coarser, better draining and better supports the aerial roots these orchids have. Cut off the old, withered stems but leave the bulk of the clump intact.

Good luck!

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Deanna I have several clumps of this same orchid, when my Grandmother passed away I went and removed them from her rockery as the house and land where being demolished. One clump is as big as yours, but it has never flowered as brilliantly, it is in a similar sized pot though.

Can I ask, do you fertilise at all, or any tips for me? I have one stem of flowers on it atm but would love to see it bloom like yours.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @MitchellM

I was surprised how well it bloomed this year, given the condition it was in when I rescued it from my ex's house. I did some research on in and found this:

Avoid dense shade, since a lack of light can prevent this orchid from flowering.

Watering
Dendrobium speciosum should only be given a minimal amount of water during the winter season, just enough to keep it a live. Much more water is needed during spring and summer when the orchid is growing.

Fertilizer A fertilizer should be used during spring and summer when your Dendrobium speciosum orchid is growing.

Hope this is of some help  :smile:    

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Deanna Just fertilised mine now after your responce. I kinda knew they needed fertiliser, but didn't want to mess with them since they were giving me atleast one stem of flowers. I split some of mine and gave them to my mother as a present a few years back. Hers haven't flowered, I'll pass on your advice as I know it would mean a lot to her if they bloomed.

Thanks for your reply.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Yes, you'll find there are some complex suggestions (and products) for fertilising orchids but an annual application of Osmocote general purpose is the easy way to keep them happy :smile:

Lockee
Finding My Feet

Hello Dee,

A friend of mine grows the Rock Lilly's very well and has a Gardening Australia segment where he shows breaking up one of these orchids.

https://therocklilyman.com/about-me/youtube-presentation/

Your other option is to visit one of the Australian Native Orchid Groups (ANOS) and then can assist you with doing this.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Andrew.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Lockee

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @Deanna to make them aware of your recommendation. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with our members. Are you an avid orchid grower? Would it be possible for you to post a few photos of your orchids? I'm sure our members would be keen to see some of your plants.

If you currently have any projects on the go, please don't hesitate to share them. 

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects