Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Raised bed from pavers

nuwa
Cultivating a Following

Raised bed from pavers

I had a fully paved backyard and I've taken most of them off because I want green. 

I'm thinking of making a raised garden bed in one slot and trying to figure out a way to use removed pavers

I want to know what's best way to stack them up at least 1' high rather than

IMG_20191126_202126.jpg

using mortar in between. Appreciate if you have any ideas 

icemanx
Growing in Experience

Re: raised bed from pavers

Out the side I have or started to do a garden section (as you will see in pics below)

I have and will be taking my time but i'll end up using pots all in this area and you will see changes as I go --  oh the one with the stump remover was a tree dying so it had to go i'll see what other pics I have and show them later

here are a few so farmade whole againmade whole againafter fix 20191119_131347.jpgtaking out a few trees and have to replace paverstaking out a few trees and have to replace paversa garden to be created herea garden to be created here

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @nuwa,

Is there a reason why you don't want the structure to be permanent? I'm sure Workshop members will be happy to provide advice. 

Welcome to the Workshop community, we're pleased you could join us.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@nuwa If you use the pavers on their edge like in the pictures @icemanx provided you don't need to use mortar. *(you could use no more nails or a similar product)

The dirt will keep the garden bed in place if you butt it against the existing pavers and fence I can see in your photo.

Just an idea.
Old gal
nuwa
Cultivating a Following

thanks for that

nuwa
Cultivating a Following

Not a specific reason, but I dont like the look of a wall/  or something that is built look. Will end up doing mortar if there s no other option

nuwa
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the reply. 

Yes that's a good option. I wanted to have bit more height on it (actually planned doing two different height beds) but this made me thinking 

@icemanx  and @Old-gal24 thanks 

@Jason way productive forum than i expected. 

Will post photos as I go. 

nuwa
Cultivating a Following

Re: Raised bed from pavers

helll all,

back to update. Ive done attached. still 20% done. hard to find time for this work as income is more importantIMG_20191130_180439.jpgIMG-656f7ed02726c890d62829b7ade91174-V.jpgIMG_20191203_183524.jpg :smile: and my grinder broke :unhappy:

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Hello @nuwa 

I would never have thought of putting your pavers on their sides and screwing or riveting them together as you have done.  You must have really wanted to use those pavers?

I wonder how they will hold up to the pressure of the soil expanding over time with watering, plant growth, mulching etc?  Will be interesting to see how they hold up.

Cheers

Old Gal

nuwa
Cultivating a Following

yes :smile: i wanted to use them as there were no takers even for free

anyway cause it looks bit ugly i'lm thinking of covering from pallet timber and hope with grass and flower will make it look ok

i hope soil wont expand too much - i wouldnt have time to go back to square one and re-do

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects