Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Raised garden bed

Neo19
Making a Splash

Raised garden bed

gardenbed.png

Hi Everyone, 

Here is a raised garden bed I have recently built which become a herb garden. 

For the garden bed, I have used the following:

Retain it Joint Post

Retain it corner post

Treated pine sleeper

Concrete

Garden Soil

Pea Straw mulch

Some galvanized angle brackets to attach side sleepers to existing retaining wall in the back

Getting the posts inGetting the posts inFilling with soilFilling with soilIMG_20211008_183821.jpgIMG_20211008_190941.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Raised Garden bed

That looks fantastic @Neo19. What an ingenious way to use the existing retaining wall to your advantage.

Many thanks for including the products you have used. I'm sure any other members wishing to accomplish a similar project will appreciate the details.

Please keep us updated on the progress of your herbs and vegetables.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @MitchellMc  :smile: 

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Hey @Neo19 That looks great. I was actually looking to do something similar along my fence line, thought maybe only 1 sleeper high, and might actually plany some fruit trees in there. Did you dig out the existing grass, or just built on top of it? Wondering if I build 20cm on top of the the existing lawn I have there, will I have problems or should I just remove it (I'm being lazy :cheeky: )?

Neo19
Making a Splash

Hi @Itai 

I’ve done a One sleeper garden bed before where I’ve used sleepers in concrete as posts. However, I have found using retain it posts to be much easier!!! Smaller holes to dig, lesser numbers of holes as well.

In here, I’ve dug up the existing grass without thinking much. In hindsight, it wasn’t really warranted as I ended up planting only teeny-weeny herbs, so there is no way their roots will make all the way down to 60 cm and beyond J

If you’re planting fruit trees in a 20 cm garden bed, I’d thinking you’ll need to remove the lawn unfortunately. If you want to save some time and efforts, I guess you can remove the lawn just underneath your tree positions.

Another thing to consider would be whether the remaining lawn would be a persistent go getter who would send it’s runners up 20 cm of garden soil and you end up having to remove turf runners from your new garden bed time to time!

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Hey @Neo19 

Thanks for the reply. You actually make a really good point about persistant lawn. I might actually put some plastic edging down into the ground on the inside to stop those runners!

Thanks

Regards

Itai

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects