Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Raised garden beds

Andy_J
Building a Reputation

Raised garden beds

IMG_1121.JPG

My first raised garden bed.

I installed the bed over the easter weekend and planted peas, spinach, carrots, broccoli and cabbage.

IMG_1471.JPG

The plants are surviving the cold and wet weather and doing well.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Raised Garden beds

Hi @Andy_J. It's fantastic to see you make your first post on the site!

What a great garden bed you have there. I'm sure you'll get plenty of fresh produce from it in the years to come. The plants appear to be growing very well at the moment so please keep us updated on their progress. What size and type of garden bed is that? 

Let me know if you need a hand with getting the most out of the site or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

great stuff @Andy_J , keep us posted on growth & progress :smile:

Andy_J
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell,

I have a galvanised raised bed measuring 900mm wide, 1200mm long and 300mm deep. The bed has stick and dried leaves as base and potting mix with sugarcane mulch.

Installed a second raised bed and re-planted some cabbage and cauliflower from the first bed and planted some beetroot and lettuce.

Peas, broccoli and cabbagePeas, broccoli and cabbageRaised bed two - phase 1 sticks and twigsRaised bed two - phase 1 sticks and twigsIMG_1511.JPGPotting mix and mulchPotting mix and mulchIMG_1525.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Andy_J.

Great thinking with the sticks and leaves! I wish I had gone that route myself as after just filling a 750 Litre bed I probably could have saved myself some money. 

Thanks for the additional information, please keep us posted.

Mitchell

Nice one @Andy_J . 👍

Love the use of the sticks and leaves to fill the bed first. I've become quite a fan of the this practice for raised beds.

Hi Mitchell, what soil should I use in my vegetable bed ?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Martk,

Thanks for joining in the discussion and apologies for the slow reply. Mitchell is having a well-earned break this week.

Everything you need should be answered in this very popular step-by-step article by resident Bunnings Workshop horticulturalist @Noelle - How to fill a raised garden bed

Have a good read and let us know if you have any further questions. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Jason

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Raised garden beds

@Andy_J Love your set up for your edibles. Have you got an update of your summer edibles ? 😊

Andy_J
Building a Reputation

Re: Raised garden beds

Thanks @mich1972 

I have had a couple of good harvests of peas, beans, and dill. 

My daughter loved taking care and harvesting the tomatoes (Roma, Cherry and the Red Russian)

I am now awaiting the summer edibles which include:

Yellow bell capsicum

Jalapeno Chilli

Eggplant Bonica

White egg plant (Solanum melongena) I am very much waiting for this.

And finally have planted sweet corn and they are growing well .😁

.75fa42cb-7505-43ea-b9f5-3b28f237f16a.JPGa040a19d-296f-4352-8264-415102f158cc.JPGdbbaef6a-1e29-49c5-be2c-6edf2f5695aa 2.JPGIMG_3594.PNGIMG_3596.PNGIMG_3597.PNGIMG_3599.PNG

IMG_3595.PNG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects