Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Random lawn holes

bobby_oz
Finding My Feet

Random lawn holes

60560FD0-6EE2-4E0C-8FC7-EC7C07DCE5CA.jpeg

 Can anyone help me to identify what is making these random holes in my lawn? I do not get many of them 3 or 4 on the whole lawn (big lawn). Only appear to be made at night, find in the morning. I have two dogs (Labs) who do not seem interested. Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Random lawn holes

Hi @bobby_oz,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join us and are looking forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the home and garden. You will certainly get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our wonderfully clever and creative Workshop community members.

There's a couple of popular previous discussions that might help you pinpoint the culprit of these holes:

Take a look and let us know what you think. Hope the information proves helpful. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Jason!

I have seen the little black critters (only occasionally) in the yard but did not give them much thought. Apparently they are laying eggs as none of the grass is dying...yet! Thanks again, I appreciate your reply!

kind regards,

bobby_oz

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bobby_oz. It's wonderful to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

My money would be on either lawn grubs that have developed into a beetle and have dug their way out, or possibly cicadas. I know in Sydney this is the first year in over a decade I have seen cicadas out and about in mass numbers. This is likely a localised phenomenon, though.

Let me mention the extremely knowledgeable @mich1972 to see if she could add to the discussion.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Holes in lawns could be anything. 
I was thinking maybe Mole  Crickets , Earthworms, Sandgropers. Not really sure. If there is only a few I personally would not worry about it. Your lawn looks really healthy. 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects